0.7 lb Wheat DME Laying Around Any Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
Relatively new to brewing and i have 0.7 lb of wheat dme left over from a previous hefe that i brewed for a party. I'm wondering how to get rid of it without brewing a full on wheat beer. Any recipe suggestions? Don't need a full on recipe, just some suggestions to get me headed in the right direction.

lumpher said:
use it for another beer that calls for wheat. it helps with head retention, such as pale ales.

I dont really know of any beers that call for small amounts of wheat. And I don't want to brew a hefe of wit. Can this amount of wheat compliment an IPA, stout, or any other type of beer? I think that's what I was trying to get at. Not sure which beers it would be a compliment to.

Just keep it and use it for your next starter (for something darker than the typical wheat beer). Or just throw it in whatever batch you brew next, for a few extra gravity points.

Using just a little will make some nice head retention for a few beers. Your not going to be making a full on wheat beer with less than one pound unless you make like a 1 gallon beer. The character of it will be minimal for a 5 gallon batch really.Wheat extract is like 60/40 wheat/barley mix or something anyway.

Learn how to make a starter and know if you need to and use it for when you need more yeast also if your making anything over 1.05 OG.

I dont really know of any beers that call for small amounts of wheat. And I don't want to brew a hefe of wit. Can this amount of wheat compliment an IPA, stout, or any other type of beer? I think that's what I was trying to get at. Not sure which beers it would be a compliment to.

many beers call for small amounts of wheat. you make an ale with 10 lbs 2-row and 2 lbs crystal 20, it won't keep a head. you add 3 oz of that wheat dme, it'll keep a good carb lacing throughout the entire pint

You can use wheat in almost anything. It's great for head retention and will raise your gravity as well. Just put it in your next beer, whatever that might be. .7lb is not going to do much in the way of adding lots of flavor but will help round out the beers flavor. I love wheat in my beers.

Just keep it and use it for your next starter (for something darker than the typical wheat beer). Or just throw it in whatever batch you brew next, for a few extra gravity points.

^This. Don't overthink things. Use it for a starter or in combo with some other extract for a APA, IPA, amber, saison, etc.

Back