☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long overdue update on the Hawaiian beans. Good but didn’t live up to the hype especially for the price. I wouldn’t seek them out again but if I could get it at 20% off their normal price I would consider them again. My neighbor really liked them and said he would split an order with me again. Just goes to show everyone has different tastes.

Pulled the trigger on some new beans over the last 4-6 weeks. Some from new vendors to me, others are just new beans to me.

Anyone else come across anything really good to share?

IMG_2103.jpeg
IMG_2104.jpeg
IMG_2105.jpeg
IMG_2107.png

I just started and am trying to work out my timing and flavors. So far, about a minute or so after first crack starts seems to be my zone. I am afraid to work it to second crack as I have read that it can get pretty close to burning and causing the roaster to catch fire. LOL. I know that isn't always true, but still trying to stay in a minute or so after first crack starts. So far, I have used Sweet Maria's Ethiopian and another that escapes me right now.

I just started and am trying to work out my timing and flavors. So far, about a minute or so after first crack starts seems to be my zone. I am afraid to work it to second crack as I have read that it can get pretty close to burning and causing the roaster to catch fire. LOL. I know that isn't always true, but still trying to stay in a minute or so after first crack starts. So far, I have used Sweet Maria's Ethiopian and another that escapes me right now.
I have never had a roaster fire; I always stop when I see the first sign of smoke! 😁

Long overdue update on the Hawaiian beans. Good but didn’t live up to the hype especially for the price. I wouldn’t seek them out again but if I could get it at 20% off their normal price I would consider them again. My neighbor really liked them and said he would split an order with me again. Just goes to show everyone has different tastes.

Pulled the trigger on some new beans over the last 4-6 weeks. Some from new vendors to me, others are just new beans to me.

Anyone else come across anything really good to share?

View attachment 828769View attachment 828770View attachment 828771View attachment 828772
Not all Hawaiian grown coffee is outstanding like Kona. Costco had Kuwai coffee (i don’t remember the name, just a bright blue bag) it was so disappointing. Kona and secondly, Maui grown are both wonderful… Rich and low acidity.

@redrocker652002 are you cooling your beans in the behmor or do you pull the cage and cool via an external cooler? If you are cooling inside then you will get some carry through in your roasts and are roasting further than people that can actually drop the beans and halt the roast level.

I was able to roast beans to second crack in a behmor but you need to be real careful if the beans are dry processed or have a lot of chaff.

What roaster do you use? I also have been buying greens from Sweet Maria’s for years, I’m in Alameda, CA so they are local to me. Been getting several 92 point Ethiopias lately, also like Guatemala, Kenya, Rwanda. I have a Behmor I think it’s a very good roaster.

I do the heatgun method and don't have a real roaster, so take this with a grain of salt...

For me, the key is cooling the beans as quickly as possible, to avoid overshooting my roast. What roast level are you aiming for?

I like a medium roast. A little roasty warmth, without removing all the origin characteristics. That means going a couple minutes beyond first crack, then dropping the beans.

If you like darker, you can't go wrong running a bit into second crack. Be careful--much further and it's a fine line and you can go from French to Italian roast to cinder very quickly.

I do the heatgun method and don't have a real roaster, so take this with a grain of salt...

For me, the key is cooling the beans as quickly as possible, to avoid overshooting my roast. What roast level are you aiming for?

I like a medium roast. A little roasty warmth, without removing all the origin characteristics. That means going a couple minutes beyond first crack, then dropping the beans.

If you like darker, you can't go wrong running a bit into second crack. Be careful--much further and it's a fine line and you can go from French to Italian roast to cinder very quickly.
OK so that's where I started with a heat gun and SS water bowel. IMO the Behmor, I think it's a 2200 now but I bought the 1600, then upgraded to 1600 Plus I've had it for years had to fix it a couple times but support is really good. Company is in Reno, NV I think. I use mine a couple times a week doing ~12ounces at a time.
Great hobby for a coffee drinker, I brew beer and make sourdough bread and ride bikes. I'm retired so gotta keep busy.
jw

What roaster do you use? I also have been buying greens from Sweet Maria’s for years, I’m in Alameda, CA so they are local to me. Been getting several 92 point Ethiopias lately, also like Guatemala, Kenya, Rwanda. I have a Behmor I think it’s a very good roaster.
I have the Behmore 1600plus. I purchased it from a member of the forum here. It has been fun so far, and a lot faster than I thought. From start to finish it takes less than an hour, and that includes warmup and cool down.

I am trying different styles of different areas to find the ones that my wife and I like. So far, I have only done 2 different kinds at 1/3 a pound each varying roast times by a minute or so. Still a work in progress, but fun to fool with it.

Right now, I am working on what I found to be called City to City+. I have taken the beans anywhere from 45 seconds to a minute and a half after first crack starts. The first roast I did with 1/3 a pound I inadvertently took it to second crack and panicked when smoke started coming out the exhaust vent, so I unplugged the unit, opened the door of the roaster and proceeded to smoke the whole house out. LOL. Wife was less than pleased at my attempt at a new hobby. LOL. She has since been ok with it, as long as it stays in the garage where it won't smell up the house too bad.

OK so that's where I started with a heat gun and SS water bowel. IMO the Behmor, I think it's a 2200 now but I bought the 1600, then upgraded to 1600 Plus I've had it for years had to fix it a couple times but support is really good. Company is in Reno, NV I think. I use mine a couple times a week doing ~12ounces at a time.
Great hobby for a coffee drinker, I brew beer and make sourdough bread and ride bikes. I'm retired so gotta keep busy.
jw
I am hoping to get to that retired status in the next year or two, then watch out. Beer and coffee for everyone. LOL.

Right now, I am working on what I found to be called City to City+. I have taken the beans anywhere from 45 seconds to a minute and a half after first crack starts. The first roast I did with 1/3 a pound I inadvertently took it to second crack and panicked when smoke started coming out the exhaust vent, so I unplugged the unit, opened the door of the roaster and proceeded to smoke the whole house out. LOL. Wife was less than pleased at my attempt at a new hobby. LOL. She has since been ok with it, as long as it stays in the garage where it won't smell up the house too bad.
Yea, with the Behmor you have pretty decent control. I've f*ucked a few times by leaving it unattended. I always set a timer on my watch for 14 minutes from start then stay with it to cooling. I go a little into second crack, but I open the door with the mini-shopvac to collect chaff and suck out some of the heat to reduce coasting to far. Sometimes I end up with Italian roast. It's a balancing act. I do it in the garage, with a good fan running and window open. Still smokes up the garage so I open the door sometimes.

It took a week to get the burnt coffee smoke smell out of the house after my first batch. After that I put my roaster on the back porch. Now I roast in my detached garage shop.

It took a week to get the burnt coffee smoke smell out of the house after my first batch. After that I put my roaster on the back porch. Now I roast in my detached garage shop.
Yea, it took a bit and my wife and kids were not happy. The garage is a better spot as I can open the doors at the front and the back and get a decent cross vent going.

I've avoided this thread for a couple years, today I learned why. I have a tendency to get myself caught in rabbit holes.

I'm almost regretting getting rid of my hot-air popcorn maker, hot air popcorn sucked. My cheapo electric whirlypop type might work but it did not toast nuts very well (doesn't stir, just kind of pushes the nuts around). I have cast iron to experiment with too.

For you seasoned roasters... where is the go-to for a fella like me to procure some gateway sample packs?

I've avoided this thread for a couple years, today I learned why. I have a tendency to get myself caught in rabbit holes.

I'm almost regretting getting rid of my hot-air popcorn maker, hot air popcorn sucked. My cheapo electric whirlypop type might work but it did not toast nuts very well (doesn't stir, just kind of pushes the nuts around). I have cast iron to experiment with too.

For you seasoned roasters... where is the go-to for a fella like me to procure some gateway sample packs?
Sweet Maria’s.

@redrocker652002 are you cooling your beans in the behmor or do you pull the cage and cool via an external cooler? If you are cooling inside then you will get some carry through in your roasts and are roasting further than people that can actually drop the beans and halt the roast level.

I was able to roast beans to second crack in a behmor but you need to be real careful if the beans are dry processed or have a lot of chaff.
I am cooling in the Behmore. It is the only way I know how as of right now. That drum is pretty hot, so sticking my hand in there has not been something I have tried yet. LOL. I have gone about a minute past FC and that seems to be a pretty good spot for me, but I might do a bit more messing around with it and see where I go. It is fun so far.

I have used Sweet Maria's, but I am by no means seasoned. Sauced maybe. LOL

I am cooling in the Behmore. It is the only way I know how as of right now. That drum is pretty hot, so sticking my hand in there has not been something I have tried yet.
A pair of heavy garden gloves work wonders.

I did back to back batches so I did not want to wait for the cooling cycle to complete and I already had an external cooling setup.

If you look around on the web there are all kinds of tricks to get the most out of the Behmore.

I like that idea. It could give me a chance for folks to critique my roasts and give me some feedback. I am in if we decide to do it.
These were the gloves I used when I had the Behmor roaster. Like others said even thick garden gloves would work too.

I liked these because I could wash them easily if needed. Cheers!

Was going to do a PSA for folks that might have an issue with small beans but when I check if it was still available it seems sold out. Anyway these bean https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dry-process-kebele-keramo-7710.html
sure looked small when I was measuring them out to roast. They did hit 1st crack about 30sec quicker than the other Ethiopian beans I roasted before it.
IMG_5645 - Copy.JPG

I happen to be drinking a coffee now that has very small beans as well. Daterra Aramosa Natural Anaerobic Masterpiece. It's surprising how small the beans are compared to other coffees I have around and they're also noticeably denser. I also don't think it's available anymore, I got them back in January and they've been in the freezer. Tasty coffee though.

I'm on my 3rd heat gun now. My trusty Wagner that I had since the '90s gave up the ghost last year. I bought some cheap one on Amazon (Seekone) that had good reviews. It lasted a year and went toes-up a couple weeks ago. It made a loud screeching sound and went kaput.

Found this DeWalt kit on Amazon for around $70 (it's since gone up in price). A little more $$ than before, but I need a heat gun for several uses besides coffee. It came with a nice hard case and more attachments than I'll ever use. Digital temp readout and the ability to set the temp in 50 degree increments, up to 1100F. Doesn't have quite the airflow the other two guns did, but at full temp (1100) it gets 8 oz of greens to first crack in about 7-9 minutes, about the same rate as the others.

I roasted some Guatemala beans to medium and have brewed several cups so far. Works great.

Maybe some day I'll break down and buy a Behmor.

heatgun.jpg

IMG_3118.jpeg
I plan to roast a lot of coffee this weekend for gifts, with family coming into town and staying with us. Bodhi leaf seemed to have a lot of good looking Columbian beans, so why not take advantage of the sale? Well with this order the shipping was almost the discounted price, I saved less than $10. Anyhow, more beans to hold me over for a while.

Last edited:
Back