Irish Stout Ó Flannagáin Standard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this last fall and hit my numbers exactly. I was disappointed in the thin watery feel also. None of the comments about that appeared until I brewed it. Oh well, I still have 12 or so bottles around to drink but I won't brew it again.
\

All you'd need to do is add some oatmeal or carapils and it'd make the mouthfeel a little more to your liking. I think for the price, the taste of this stout is great.

I just bottled my first batch of this last night -- the samples tasted great so I'm really looking forward to three weeks from now! I love stouts and was unimpressed with my first attempt so I've got my fingers crossed for this batch. I used an English ale yeast that I had on hand -- I think I got some funky Irish ale yeast the first time because both the stout and the irish red I made with it had the same strange flavor (I guess it could have been the roasted barley since they had that in common too...although there wasn't that much of it there).

I also reduced my priming sugar for this batch as well to get toward the lower end for the style. I was going to try DME for priming but I didn't want to have too many variables on the first batch.

Thanks again for the recipe...I still get thirsty every time I look at the pictures early in this thread. :mug:

Not sure if you've brewed it yet, but I did just that - I used 2lbs of flaked oats and it turned out great.

I've got the wort chiller in right now actually....I replaced the flaked barley w/ 2 lbs oatmeal and added 1 lb wheat malt for extra head retention......hoping for the best!

You should be fine. If you look back at my contributions to this thread, I upped my amount of carapils in addition to the oats as I feared the "thinness" of the original recipe - but I would expect a "roasty" stout/porter to be more on the thin side than an oatmeal stout.

You'll definitely achieve a chewy mouthfeel with oatmeal and wheat!

I've got a half-batch of this mashing right now. This will be my first batch of beer ever (yes, my first batch of beer is an all-grain stout). I'm using the BIAB method, and it seems to be going quite well. Looks a lot like the pictures of all-grain stout mashing that I've seen, anyway.

I have to give this recipe props b/c I've brewed it multiple times and it is great every time.

Thanks again.

Recipe looks good! I keep brewing stuff like Saisons, IPA's, Abbey dubbels, Pale ales, RIS. All very good, apart from everytime I fancy a beer; I find it's something like a nice, simple, easy drinking stout; flavourful but not overwhelming and I've never got anything like it!

Hopefully brewing this on Thursday with S-04 dry yeast and swapping the 2-row for Maris otter

I don't have any carapils but I see people sub in wheat malt (which I do have), should I just do a straight swap? I've also got some pilsner malt and crystal 50l, but I'm guessing those aren't really subs?

I don't think wheat malt would be a problem, I subbed it before for Carapils and everything tasted fine

How many volumes of CO2 are people carbing this up to? Just brewed a batch on Monday, although I used S-04 and added some Munich which I needed to get used up.

Also, my fermentation temp ran a little wild, think I hit 76-77F for a few hours which is as high as fermentis say it should go. Managed to get it into a swamp cooler though to drop it under 70, hopefully it isn't too yeasty, S04 is usually pretty good to me so I have faith in it.

I'm planning on brewing an extract version of this tomorrow but I'm still unsure about the flaked barley. I've come to the conclusion that unless I do a mini mash (which I'd rather not do since this will be only my second brew) I won't get anything out of it so it needs to be subbed.

What i came up with was:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 4 72.7 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 12.1 %
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 13.5 IBUs
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 6 -

any issues with this? I realize it won't be the exact same beer but will it still have a similar taste/mouthfeel to the original?

I'm planning to do a variation of this recipe (just increase base malt) as a sweet stout. The idea is that if I increase the original gravity to 1.060 and then mash hot (156-158) and use a medium to low attenuating yeast I might end up somewhere around 1.017 or 1.020 for my final gravity, with 5.2 to 5.5% ABV.

Does this sound like a good idea to anybody else, or am I crazy?

What if I used black roasted barley (500L) instead of the regular roasted (300L) stuff?

SqueegeeBob said:
I'm planning to do a variation of this recipe (just increase base malt) as a sweet stout. The idea is that if I increase the original gravity to 1.060 and then mash hot (156-158) and use a medium to low attenuating yeast I might end up somewhere around 1.017 or 1.020 for my final gravity, with 5.2 to 5.5% ABV.

Does this sound like a good idea to anybody else, or am I crazy?

What if I used black roasted barley (500L) instead of the regular roasted (300L) stuff?

Then you will have a different beer my friend ;)

I might pick up stuff from the LHBS for this one today... I always have an overwhelming desire to tweak with recipes, but im going to resist this time since it seems like everyone is so happy with it

Mine's going to be a little bit sour. :)

32531d1314551158-pellicle-photo-collection-dsc00889.jpg

Tried mine and it's not too bad... I think my water is too soft for stouts though (although excellent for pales and IPA's). I think with a bit of aging it'll be good though. The head on it pours really thick using wheat malt instead of carapils.

Might have to start reading up on water chemistry to improve my darker beers.

RE: fermentation - I can attest, as others have, the fermentation on this is extreme. Brewed it up yesterday afternoon, and this evening the blow-off tube is steadily gurgling...

made this at the beggining of the month and put it on my nitro tap yesterday.... UNREAL!!!!! Perfect balance of choc. and roasted malt. Creamy and drinkable, and cheap on the wallet. CHEERS!!!

I made this last weekend... hit everything pretty much perfect, only I didn't have the carapils so I just used a pound of belgian aromatic. We'll see what happens...

I made this about two and a half weeks ago. I took a gravity reading today and tasted it, I'm pretty excited. I added an extra half pound of pale malt since this was my second BIAB batch and I wasn't sure what my efficiency was going to be. My OG was 1.052 and my current gravity (and I expect my FG) is at 1.020. I was thinking about adding coffee to half of it and leave the other half as is, but after tasting it today I think I will not add the coffee.

I brewed this 2 weeks ago, and the hydro sample this morning tasted a little too burnt. Will this characteristic mellow with a little aging? This is my first stout. I may try subbing half the RB out for Carafa next time

I'm currently enjoying this after only a week since bottling. I copied the recipe as is and all I can say is fantastic! I can't wait to enjoy another in a couple of weeks after longer conditioning in the bottle.

Brewing 11 gallons of this today... Strike water is heating up as we speak. Looking forward to drinking my first stout of the season.

I brewed a batch of this... its very good, except it has a weird sour twang to it. Not sure what I did wrong, I followed the recipe and I've never had this flavor in a beer before

Bottled this yesterday. Hydro sample tasted great. Can't wait till it carbs. Might use this as my base stout recipe and go from there.

bottlebomber said:
I brewed a batch of this... its very good, except it has a weird sour twang to it. Not sure what I did wrong, I followed the recipe and I've never had this flavor in a beer before

Twang is gone. I guess it was just from the RB. Anyway, this beer is infinitely better 3 months after bottling it.

bottlebomber said:
Twang is gone. I guess it was just from the RB. Anyway, this beer is infinitely better 3 months after bottling it.

I've had the same experience. I think cutting down the roast barley would help it out.

Edit: Turns out my water sucks for making stouts.

I brewed a batch of this yesterday and gravity was off, I got 1.056. I think I boiled a little too hard. The hydro sample tasted really good though.

I had a twang in mine too, I aged it in the carboy a month before I kegged it. It didn't last long enough in the keg to see if it goes away with time.

I had a twang in mine too, I aged it in the carboy a month before I kegged it. It didn't last long enough in the keg to see if it goes away with time.
I had a similar problem, didn't have a chance to let it age much in the bottles because it was so good. Seemed to mellow a bit 1.5 months after bottle aged (month in the fermenter). :)

Although, I made the PM version of this recipe. Tasted awesome, IMO, best beer I have brewed yet.

The only issue I had was that it poured a great head, a nice tan color. . . but the head would dissipate almost immediately. I am not sure what I did wrong. Do you get a better, longer lasting head with kegging?

Back