Quick noob question: water needed on both chambers of air lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadilos

Reaction score
Hi guys. Long time lurker and finally brewed my first batch yesterday. Fermenting up a storm in the carboy and all is going well...but I noticed that the sanitised water in the first chamber (first one escaping gasses would pass through) is gone. The second chamber still has water in it and bubbling nicely. I filled both maybe just under half way and chamber two is now about 3/4 full. Should I put a new freshly filled airlock in there? Just not sure if it matters much or not. Thanks!

That's how it works. The positive pressure from the fermenter is pushing the water out of the first chamber and into the second one. When fermentation slows down you will see the liquid start combing back to a more equalized state, with the occasional bubble.

I personally love the bubbler airlocks, I could sit and watch them go all day :)

Back