1 week into ferment......not hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing_Butterball

Reaction score
So a week into primary I found myself wondering what the gravity of my double IPA. I know I shouldnt have but sometimes I think I have ADD when it comes to brewing :D......Anyway so I checked it and it has gone down from 1.090 to 1.014 Im going to leave it in for another 2 weeks but when I tasted the sample I had drawn from the carboy using a sanitized turkey baster I really didnt taste any hops, I didnt pick up any off flavors just not too hoppy I added a total of 6oz, 2oz of columbus @ 60 another 2oz @ 30 and 20z of cascade @ flameout. I just thought that it would have a more hoppy taste seeing as my Pale Ale came out pretty good with only 2oz of hops. also I am planning to dry hop should I DH with the same late addition hops?

So I guess my ? would be why is the hops taste so subtle. Too early to gauge? Not enough hops?

A lot of the hop bitterness and flavor won't be fully noticeable until it gets carbed up.

Dry hop with whatever hop you like. I like Centennial, so i use that a lot as a DH.

One reason for the lack of hoppy flavor and aroma is that you used mostly bittering hops, and few flavor and aroma hops. Normally, any hops added before about 20 minutes before the end of the boil contribute primarily to bitterness, and any hops added at 15 minutes or less contribute to flavor and/or aroma.

It looks like you only used 2 oz of cascade at flameout for late additions?

Normally, my IIPA schedule is more like this:
1-2 oz bittering hops (to get to 45-50 IBUs)
1 oz hops 20 minutes
1 oz hops 15 minutes
1 oz hops 10 minutes
1 oz hops 5 minutes
1 oz hops flame out
Dryhop 3 oz (or use 2 oz whirlpool hops and 2 oz dryhops)

mbobhat is right. 1 thing you'll find out ( if you haven't already ) is beer tastes a LOT different once it carbs up. make sure you dry hop it for fresh hops aroma, though

Yes thats correct only 2oz of cascade for late additions, would I be able to compensate for hop flavor/aroma with a nice dry hop? I am a big fan of citrus hop notes I want to DH with citra but I think my LHBS is sold out, I think I'll settle with cascade or centennial but IDK yet

Thanks everyone much appreciated!

Yes thats correct only 2oz of cascade for late additions, would I be able to compensate for hop flavor/aroma with a nice dry hop? I am a big fan of citrus hop notes I want to DH with citra but I think my LHBS is sold out, I think I'll settle with cascade but IDK yet

Thanks everyone much appreciated!

You can get alot of hop aroma from dryhopping, but can't replace the hops flavor that is missing due to not using any hops in the boil for flavor.

Citra is very mango, and not very citrusy. Citrusy hops would be hops like cascade, amarillo, and centennial. Centennial is a bit floral too, but mostly citrusy.

Brewing_Butterball said:
Ok thanks very much Ill def keep that in mind next time I do a IIPA, not to drag out this thread but would 4oz be overkill in a DH?

If you get nervous, check out the hop bills on Pliney the elder/younger. That's a lot of DH :ban:

When I do an extract IIPA, I've been working on refining a 20-minute boil hop bursting style. I've generally loved the results. This recipe has tons of hop flavor and aroma with a smooth bitterness. Really fantastic. I often do not dry hop because the aroma is so strong from the hop stand.

12lbs Pale LME
1lb Corn sugar

1oz Simcoe 20min
.6 oz Columbus 20min
1oz Simcoe 15min
1oz Citra 15min
1oz Citra 10min
1oz Simcoe 10min
1oz Citra 0min
1oz Simcoe 0min

OG: 1.078
FG: 1.013
ABV: 8.7%

Brew Notes:
- 20min Boil
- 1/2 extract added at flame out
- Corn sugar added at flameout
- 45 minute hop stand with whirlpool at beginning

Notice that there's no 60min hop addition. The bitterness comes from the abundance of late hop additions. If you're interest in hop bursting as a basis for IPAs, there's a lot on this site as well as in general searches.

When I do an extract IIPA, I've been working on refining a 20-minute boil hop bursting style. I've generally loved the results. This recipe has tons of hop flavor and aroma with a smooth bitterness. Really fantastic. I often do not dry hop because the aroma is so strong from the hop stand.

12lbs Pale LME
1lb Corn sugar

1oz Simcoe 20min
.6 oz Columbus 20min
1oz Simcoe 15min
1oz Citra 15min
1oz Citra 10min
1oz Simcoe 10min
1oz Citra 0min
1oz Simcoe 0min

OG: 1.078
FG: 1.013
ABV: 8.7%

Brew Notes:
- 20min Boil
- 1/2 extract added at flame out
- Corn sugar added at flameout
- 45 minute hop stand with whirlpool at beginning

Notice that there's no 60min hop addition. The bitterness comes from the abundance of late hop additions. If you're interest in hop bursting as a basis for IPAs, there's a lot on this site as well as in general searches.

thats just about the same steps i followed except for the hop schedule, and boil time!

Brewing_Butterball said:
thats just about the same steps i followed except for the hop schedule, and boil time!

It's pretty amazing the difference that 20 minutes makes. Yooper's rule of thumb is a great guide to follow!

Also keep in mind that there is a balancing act between malt and hop ratios in beer. With all the malt in a DIPA you have to use a lot of hops. I couldn't find a hop ratio quickly on "teh googles" but found a few links that may be helpful:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/malt-2-hop-ratio-11028/

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Back