Too hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slohsandt

Reaction score
I think I put too many hops in my brown lager, is there a way I can tone the the hoppy flavor while still in the primary?

If it is in primary it is probably too early to say. Give it time. Hops will fade with time unless you hopped to the rate of a DIPA.

Be patient with it. Good luck

Cbaddad said:
If it is in primary it is probably too early to say. Give it time. Hops will fade with time unless you hopped to the rate of a DIPA.

Be patient with it. Good luck

1oz Willamette
1oz Cascade

So definitely not hopped like an IPA, thank you for the advice

^agree. too soon to be sure, but there's not really anything you could do to fix it anyhow (at least no way I can really think of without risk of making it worse....possibly a lot worse). After bottling/kegging if its still too hoppy, just be patient and let it age. Taste it every month or so until you deem it worthy, the bitterness will fade with time. Or, if you're not that patient, just relax and drank it while brewing another batch with less/milder flavored hops.

As mentioned the hop character will fade in time. An extreme solution would be to brew another batch with lower IBU's and blend it with this batch...

You might be tasting hop solids if you're sampling this beer from the ferementer. Let it drop out, keg/bottle then judge it.

They will mellow out with time. If it's an extract kit, most are made for partial boils. If you're doing a full boil you'll get much better hop utilization than planned and it will take some time for it to mellow out. I found this out the hard way with my first couple brews and it took nearly 3 months for the non-ipas to become drinkable. Patience (something I don't have) is needed for brewing. :)

Back