forgot about my gravity sample...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bink00

Reaction score
So I forgot about my gravity sample on a PtE clone from Saturday that i pushed up behind some stuff after a hectic brew day.

As I was getting my lunch ready for work I saw it and noticed it was fermenting with a krausen. It smells really sour but it's pretty active. I took the sample before I pitched and my tube flask thing was ran thru the dishwasher.

Is is some wild nasty yeast or can some infections look like this?

I'm going to let it finish doing its thing and see what it smells and tastes like.

So what would you do with it?

Try to harvest it if the sample comes out not to bad or not even waste my time and toss it?

ForumRunner_20130522_085427.jpg

now the krausen is super thick.

Can a wild yeast propagate that fast(4 days)? The tube was clean as can be and ran thru the dishwasher with the base screwed off...and heat dried.

Im trying to find pictures of an active feremetation with brett or something other infection based fermentation to see if the match mine but none do!

Im sure this will turn out nasty and sour...I dont have my hopes up

Sure, wild yeast and bacteria can be very fast at room temperature. Think about milk left on the counter- it'll sour overnight.

That's why we pitch the yeast ASAP- to prevent other microbes from gaining a foothold before our chosen yeast strain takes over.

It ended up finishing at 1.018. The starting gravity was around 1.080. Its absolutely nasty. :)

and it looks like a hefe!

Oh well...

Back