Adding sugar in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifnotuthenwho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I normally don't use a secondary fermenter, but on my latest batch I decided to go ahead and use one because I need to dry hop it and also cold crash it. (5 gallon carboy fits in the fridge better).

Now that I have carefully transferred the beer, I'm thinking about adding just a SMALL amount of priming sugar to the secondary just to get enough CO2 release to get rid of the oxygen at the top of the secondary. I would dissolve the sugar in some boiling water, let it cool and then add it. I'm thinking 1/2 to 1 ounce of priming sugar. I realize that I don't want much fermentation while I dry hop because the flavors can be carried off in the CO2.

Does anyone have any advice one way or the other regarding my idea?

I don't dry hop but when I secondary, rare any more, I add sugar to get the CO2 to drive out the oxygen. Not sure it helps but it never hurt. You might also find that adding hops and moving to the secondary will kick out CO2 also though.

Back