Wrong yeast for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Hello, recently I made an IPA, but I screwed up and used a hefeweizen yeast strain. i only notice it once I tasted it before dry hoping, and notice a lot of banana and clove, upppppps!!!
Ofcourse Im not going to throw it out, i was going to dry hop with centenial and chinook, but now Im wondering if I should experiment dry hoping with different hop varieties. Any Ideas and sugestions?

Thanks

Best thing you can do is experiment a little and find out what you like. I've got some Cascade and Columbus that I will be using to dry-hop with soon. Amarillo and Simcoe are pretty good, and I like Centennial and Cascade together a lot. I found this a little while back, and I find it is a good general reference if you are planning on trying hops you haven't tried before: http://www.basinbrewers.org/hopwheel.htm

Wit it throwing banana & clove esters,amarillo would be a good choice folks say it can give tropical fruit flavors. Or willamette with that floral,herbal thing. That's if you want hop flavors that'll meld with it. You could use "C" hops with the usual grapefruit thing to bury it.

Back