Phase 1 and 2 Complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDaniels

Reaction score
I've been putting off getting started on going to electric, but finally got over the hump. I broke it into 4 phases of effort. I had one costly lesson along the way that I'll share too.

Phase 1: Install the GFCI Panel

At the start, I had a welder outlet in my garage and when I ran it originally, I'd run 3+1 6 AWG to it so I didn't have to run a new circuit, but I needed the circuit on the other side of the garage.

So, I put a spa panel at the outlet location. I didn't have lots of extra wire to work with so it took quite a while to hook up the panel. In fact, I was so busy with the mechanics of it all that I WIRED THE LINE TO THE LOAD of the GFCI breaker. DUH! It works until you run the test and poof.... a 70$ GFCI breaker crackles and smokes.

Cursing, I ordered another spa panel... Sad that it's cheaper than replacement breakers. Given the little bit of line wire I had available, I decided the original panel would just become a junction box.

So I installed the spa panel on the other side of the garage where my new outlet is now hanging on the wall.

Phase 2: Electric Kettle

I wanted a cheap, stainless, well grounded and easily serviceable element housing. My approach was to use a stainless salt and pepper shakers (5.50$ from Amazon for a pair). I used a Greenlee punch to put a hole in the bottom, put in a ground screw, and then needed a way to cover the shaker holes.

I cut a circle from a scrap of cutting board and put another hole in the center for the cord. Then used short screws to attach the disc. I can simply unscrew the top for access to the element.

I used the stainless locknut and silicone washer on the inside, but I did end up using a bit of teflon tape on the element threads to stop a drip. I put quite a bit of teflon tape back where the threads meet the hole in the vessel as well.

Success!

I boiled 18 gallons of PBW solution yesterday in about 70 minutes. :tank:

element enclosure.jpg

control panel.jpg

boiling.jpg

Back