Another intersting point maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on a kick lately about the logistics and dynamics of kegging. Here's my question of the day worded as a example.

I keep my 5 lb co2 tank inside my keezer so even when full it only registers somewhere about 600 psi or so . If I kept the same 5 lb cylinder outside the keezer it would read 800 or so.

Now lets look at the keg pressure side and I want to carb / serve at 10 psi which based on charts delivers appx 2.4 volumes of co2.

Does this psi rating for 2.4 volumes account for the tank being inside the keezer or outside the keezer or does it make no difference ?

I ask this because apparently co2 compresses at colder temps so in theory would you have to adjust your volumes of co2 delivered to the keg to carbonate as well being that gas is compressed ?

Or am I just thinking to much about this ?

And that answers the question..... so the output is independent and not reliant in the decreased pressure reading of the tank side pressure ?

Ya. The pressure in the tank itself changes with temperature because most of the CO2 is liquid, so you have CO2 liquid and vapor in equilibrium. So the pressure you read on the tank will be the vapor pressure of the CO2, which is very dependent on temperature. Meanwhile, the function of the regulator is to regulate down to whatever pressure you set it, regardless (well, as long as tank pressure is greater than regulator set pressure and less than whatever pressure that would cause the regulator to fail) of the pressure of the tank.

Back