Final Gravity not what I expected, did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
It has been 2 full weeks now since I made my Honey Hibiscus Wit and I was shooting for a ABV 8%. The original recipe comes out to 4.8%. I just checked my FG, did the math and it came out to 6%. Here is the ingredients

1 lb Flaked Oats
1 1/4 lb Belgian Pils Malt
1 lb White Wheat

155 for 45 min

1 lb Honey
3 lb Wheat Extract
2 lb Extra Light DME (original didn't include this)
2 lb Wheat DME (original was 1 lb)

1 oz Hallertau - 30 min
1/2 oz Cracked Coriander Seed - 15 min
4 oz Hibiscus - 15 min
1/2 oz Bitter Orange Peel - 5 min.

Belgian Wit Ale 400 Yeast

OG 1.070
FG 1.024

6.03% ABV

The color looks awesome and it tastes really really really good too. Guess I shouldn't worry seeing that it tastes so good but I really wanted to make it 7.5 - 8%. Did I do something wrong?

Looks like I'm off by 1.7% still. IDK, maybe I put the blow off valve on too late, should have transferred it to a secondary, IDK!

Yep recipe related... A lot of extract with specialty grains FG finish high you got about 66% attenuation (per mfg is 74-78%) if its not bottled yet? warm it up give it a swirl and wait another week..... all the matters is you state it tastes good!!! That's the main goal.

It tastes great! Unfortunately I'm at the end of time for fermenting and bottling. Have to get this bottled tonight in time for Flipside. I'm going to have to make the move to kegging sooner than later.

Back