Central Florida Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPaul

Reaction score
Great site and lots of info. I've been reading for a while and decided to join in. Thanks for having me.

I started brewing about 12 years ago but it was short lived. I did up a couple of kits that turned out good but we moved shortly after that. I opted to give my brewing equipment to a neighbor rather than bring it with me and it didn't take long to wish I hadn't. I've wanted to brew again over the years but couldn't bring myself to buy all the same equipment I so easily gave away.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago and I'm back to brewing and building my equipment back up. I eased into it by drinking copious amounts of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye and Torpedo to get the bottle collection going. I've brewed three batches from kits from Midwest Supplies (Hop Head Double IPA, Liberty Cream Ale, and Hank's Hefeweizen), and have an Oatmeal Stout kit on the way.

This past weekend I built a mash/lauter tun from a 10 gallon Igloo cooler using the instructions on the forum. It passed the leak test and is ready to go. I plan to make the stout my last kit beer and will start brewing all grain as soon as I get a bigger pot.

To make room for everything I picked up a 13 cu ft upright freezer from Craigslist and added an external temperature control. It's nice having a dedicated beer fridge in the garage...never had one before.

Again, thanks for having me. I thoroughly enjoy the forum.

Welcome back to the party KPaul. Your chest freezer will become your best friend over the next few scorching months. I bought one immediately after my first brew and have never looked back. Even during our mild winter, it helped keep my temps even.

Welcome. The brewing can be tough down here. I use a prewort chiller before my wort chiller to cool of the wort. I ferment in the house and just got a fermentation chamber because its hard to get the lower temps required. I never let a cold front pass without brewing. I have learned the first 3 days are key to fermentation. You will learn what a swamp cooler is. Enjoy and welcome back.

Back