first Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meltroha

Reaction score
I am going to brew a tripel this weekend, my first Belgian. I am using White Labs 550, and am planning on fermenting with the carboy in a tub of water with a aquarium heater and target 76° wert/beer temp. My question is do I need to maintain the high temp for the entire fermentation, our just the first few days? Is 76° a good temp? Any other tips?

You might seriously think about keeping that temp lower - say, mid to upper sixties - for the first day or two of fermentation, then gradually warming the beer up to the mid to upper seventies.

You'll still get plenty of nice Belgian esters, but you run way less risk of undesirable fusel alcohols.

I did this recently with a Belgian golden strong. In fact, I got mine too cold - as low as 59 before getting it back up to 63-65. Toward the end, I got it up to 78 via application of a heating pad.

At bottling time, I had some fantastic pear esters, but no hot alcohol taste at all.

You might seriously think about keeping that temp lower - say, mid to upper sixties - for the first day or two of fermentation, then gradually warming the beer up to the mid to upper seventies.

You'll still get plenty of nice Belgian esters, but you run way less risk of undesirable fusel alcohols.

This is good advice. A lot of people say you can ferment Belgians hot, but that is really not true. Too hot too fast and you get rocket fuel. Start low, like the mid 60's and then after a few days you can ramp it up to finish out. That way you do not risk the headache producing fusels.

This is good advice. A lot of people say you can ferment Belgians hot, but that is really not true. Too hot too fast and you get rocket fuel. Start low, like the mid 60's and then after a few days you can ramp it up to finish out. That way you do not risk the headache producing fusels.

So true. Also people forget that the fermentation generates a fair bit of heat. I made a 1.052 og beer and had it fermenting in 58F room. Actual beer temp was 64f. I have ruined at least two of the last tripels by attempting to warm a ferment. If I do it again, I'd keep the temp at about 64f until the very end, and warm to maybe 72f. There is no shortage of esters even at cooler temps.

+1 for a ramped fermentation.

Pitch in the mid 60's. Let it rise slowly to the mid 70's or above. It's a great way to get the "funk" without the harsh alcohol notes.

+1 here. I did an Austin homebrew supply Belgian Tripel was a la Fin Du Mond clone. Extract. Came out bigger than the instructions said, 1.090. Has a big starter and pitched in the high 60s and it practically exploded even with blow off tube. Had to put it in the kitchen sink with no blow off and just let it foam out through the grommet hole. I think it got too hot during the yeast orgy and it has a strong alcohol flavor.

Thanks guys, looks like I almost made a big mistake, this site is awesome! I'll do mid 60's in the tub with the imperial red rye were also making,, with a blow off tube, I am shooting for 1.085! Them after a few days, put in tote with water and heater and get it up slowly to 74, then maybe after a week, up to 78. We want the funk, got to have the funk. Sorry for that

Back