How to mount temp probe for RIMS system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
This isn't a discussion about the best location for the temp probe, but instead how to actually mount it to get accurate temperature readings of the output. I have a new-to-me RIMS tube with a thermowell on the top side of the heating element. I have my temp probe in there with some thermal grease and it's still reading up to 10 degrees cooler than if I stick my thermometer at the actual output of the silicone tubing. The temperature isn't consistently off however so I can't just adjust based on a set difference.

This is the temp controller I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MB16C3

My question is how should I better mount the temp probe to get an accurate reading of my wort after it leaves the tube? I can't find any good pictures of how others are doing this. The temp probe isn't threaded and is just a standard "meat thermometer" style probe. I was trying to think of some way to attach it to the silicone tubing at the output but I can't think of any way that would keep it in the stream of wort.

To clarify how this setup is working, I have a 10 gallon Igloo cooler mash tun with a brew bag inside. Output from the Mash tun goes into my pump which pushes the wort through the RIMS tube and back through the top of the mash tun. I want to use the RIMS for step mashing, but with these wildly fluctuating temps, it's essentially useless.

This is a pic of the current RIMS tube and thermowell location. Note: This was just a test run with PBW to see how the tube is working and I have it running through a kettle instead of my mash tun
PXL_20240501_191924180.jpg

Does not look ideal... You do want to keep the probe near the element, especially with a slow-acting controller like that. If you intend to stick with your controller and it's flimsy temp probe, @Bobby_M makes compression adapters for probes:
https://www.brewhardware.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=probe&Submit=
The scamazon link doesn't work for me, so I can't comment on the controller, but if you have the cash to spare and want to avoid scorching, I highly recommend the Auber DSPR320 and an RTD probe:
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=769
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_92&products_id=267
:mug:
PS: I just remembered this: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tempcontrol_cube5e_bhcustomb.htm

Mine's currently disassembled (until I can complete my 'accessible brew rig'), but then, it's not one of those with TC output that's further down, hence less dead space. To that end, my temp probe is long enough to descend to just below the output.
Heat rises, flow carries it, and the dead space isn't going to get any hotter than the tip of the element which is why you want the probe close to it to avoid delays.
IMG_1614.jpg

you could try swapping the out tc port and the thermowell. Getting flow past the tip my help. The thermowell needs to be long enough to reach into the flow.

Also, have you checked the calibration of the temp controller probe? It may be off. Then it would be helpful to also check the calibration of the prob in the thermowell. Take the thermowell off and put it in hot water with a thermometer that you trust. If the temp controller is off you may be able to input a differential to make it read correctly.

This isn't a discussion about the best location for the temp probe, but instead how to actually mount it to get accurate temperature readings of the output. I have a new-to-me RIMS tube with a thermowell on the top side of the heating element. I have my temp probe in there with some thermal grease and it's still reading up to 10 degrees cooler than if I stick my thermometer at the actual output of the silicone tubing. The temperature isn't consistently off however so I can't just adjust based on a set difference.

This is the temp controller I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MB16C3

My question is how should I better mount the temp probe to get an accurate reading of my wort after it leaves the tube? I can't find any good pictures of how others are doing this. The temp probe isn't threaded and is just a standard "meat thermometer" style probe. I was trying to think of some way to attach it to the silicone tubing at the output but I can't think of any way that would keep it in the stream of wort.

To clarify how this setup is working, I have a 10 gallon Igloo cooler mash tun with a brew bag inside. Output from the Mash tun goes into my pump which pushes the wort through the RIMS tube and back through the top of the mash tun. I want to use the RIMS for step mashing, but with these wildly fluctuating temps, it's essentially useless.

This is a pic of the current RIMS tube and thermowell location. Note: This was just a test run with PBW to see how the tube is working and I have it running through a kettle instead of my mash tun

A slow, mechanical relay based, on/off controller is way less than ideal. For most RIMS tube applications you want a cycle time around 1-2 seconds (as in when cycle time is 1 sec and the controller is calling for 50% you are on for 0.5sec, off for 0.5 sec) and that controller is not fast enough to do that, your cycle time is a bit too long so you are overshooting the temp which causes the controller to shut the output until it goes under your target temp, and then the whole thing repeats. Additionally as your link is not working, am not sure if you have an epoxy coated temp probe or a metal one, if it is the epoxy coated one, that will slow down the system's ability to read the temperature which can lead to overshoot.

Honestly you'd be better off returning the whole thing to amazon and getting something PID based or building your own. Inkbird has a prefabbed PID controller.

Back