Zymurgy recipe for Bells Two hearted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdp

Reaction score
Has anybody tried this recipe? Am planning to give it a try but wondering about two factors. Firstly the mash temp is low and short (150 for 45 min followed by 170F mashout)... wouldn't this give a pretty thin/highly fermented beer? Secondly --- has anyone tried Nottingham yeast?? I'd heard great things about it and just used it recently - was impressed how robust it was.

Thanks!

10lb 2-row
2.8lb pale 3.5L
0.5lb caramel 40L

Mash at 150F for 45min, raise to 170F for 15min

Boil for 75min

Hops: centennial; 1.2oz each for 45 min, 30 min and 3.5oz dry hop

OG 1.063 (65% efficiency--- FYI I get over 80%)
FG 1.012; WLP001 or WLP051; ferment one week without hops and second week with

I'm also looking at doing this recipe this weekend, having not tried the original I'm not too concerned about how close it gets, but more so making a beer similar to what is described as one of the best IPAs currently being brewed.
here is a link to the recipe i think the OP is referring to.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone/

My question is- relying on a 45 and a 30min addition, will this really pack a big hop flavour? with nothing sub 30 (other than a DH) my initial thoughts are that it seems to be missing late hops. Has anyone made this recipe and could give any feedback? It seems to be endorsed by the brewery (https://www.bellsbeer.com/news/celebrate-national-homebrew-day-two-hearted-clone-recipe) so i guess it should be pretty spot on.
I've got some centennial itching to be used in the freezer...

Thanks in advance

I have brewed a similar recipe several times and been told by a beer judge from Michigan that I am spot on. My differences:

I don't worry about mixing base grain. I use all pale malt plus the crystal 40.

For hops I do 1oz at 75 min, 1oz@ 30 min, 1oz at 15 min, 1oz at knock-out for hop stand, then 1oz for dry hop.

You can go 60 minutes with the mash if you want.

Thanks snowtiger1987
From the looks of it you have upped the late hopping over what the stated recipe is, which to me is logical, as was what i had in mind, however if anyone else has any experiences with the stated recipe that was endorsed by the brewery, I'd be keen to know!
Cheers

Thanks snowtiger1987
From the looks of it you have upped the late hopping over what the stated recipe is, which to me is logical, as was what i had in mind, however if anyone else has any experiences with the stated recipe that was endorsed by the brewery, I'd be keen to know!
Cheers

I brew the BYO recipe as provided by Bells, using WLP051. Ive had superb results that are very hard to distinguish from what Bells produces, so if you follow the recipe, you can make a really good IPA. It is malt forward and the centennial hops have a nice citrus aroma that builds into a smooth bitterness with slight fruitiness. Its not a hop bomb, but it is smooth and I can drink several without nuking my tastebuds. So if you want more IBUS, up the hops as mentioned, but its not going to be a clone IMHO.

I've brewed the NB Clone Dead Ringer, the BYO Clone Recipe, and the AHA Clone Recipe and the AHA is the one I'm sticking with. I really like the chacter of the base grain bill, and the 45/30 hopping has worked well. I could tell the beers apart side by side, but standing alone I think it is a fine representation of the original.

I use US-05 dry and have been happy with that, although Imperial's Dry Hop yeast gave this an interestingly softer and more fruit forward twist that I liked (not as a clone). I did not care for this fermented on a lager yeast (34/70), but I would think an English strain would work.

Commercially, 2Heart is not a massive hop bomb, you want flavor (hence 45/30) and it gets a big dry hop charge, but you can still taste the malt in the real deal so you don't want to go overboard.

My advice is to buy Centennial by the pound and just brew this over and over again, even as you make changes it's never going to be a bad beer!

Thanks snowtiger1987
Cheers

I have but I also decrease the dry hopping amount which I think evens it out.

thanks guys, I tried to get ahold of some of the original before i brewed this, and didn't have any luck down here in Tasmania. I ended up using 94% 2 row, 3% acidulated and 3% med crystal to meet the grain bill, bulked out to hit the OG of 1.063. I kept the IBU at the stated amount, but changed the schedule to additions at 60, 30 15 10 and 5 plus a soak at 80*C for around 30 min, with each addition around 30g, which i think is roughly equivalent to an ounce in the US? tasted and smelt good prior to pitching, so fingers crossed.

I opted for more of a IPA tilted towards hops rather than malt this time round. Will likely have a go at a Bells 2H later on.

Thanks all for the advice

BTW - I recently bought the kit that Bells sell for this and brewed it using WLP001 - it turned out great- one of the best I’ve made.

Latest posts

Back