Zurich and Rome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
Next week the wife and I are setting out to Zurich and then Rome. She studied in Rome while in college and has been to Switzerland, but I have not. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to good places to get a drink in those towns and/or if there are any breweries I should check out while I'm there.:fro:

I cannot help you with Zurich, but I can tell you that you will find no breweries in Rome. You will find traffic. You will find many Italian men staring, quite blatantly, at your wife (take it as a compliment). You will find many people that you believe are just plain ol' lunatics. You will find some of the warmest, friendliest people you ever hope to meet if you show just a bit of patience, an open mind, and learn a few polite words in Italian. You will eat some great food. You will drink some good wine. You will see works of art that bring tears to your eyes. You will not miss your television set. You will have your mind blown by what the Romans did a couple thousand years ago. You will be glad to come home, but you will want to go back as soon as you can.

TL

"Super Troopers"

Your two quarters are in the mail, i expressed them over night:mug:

I had a feeling Rome would be pretty dry in the beer category, I know they have it but it's not one of their known commodities.

as for them staring at my wife, I guess I'll just have to stare at their wives and use some of that ol' midwest charm hahaha

There is supposedly a brewpub in Trestevere, the small and very cool little neighborhood across the Tiber. I couldn't find it when I was there; the streets are winding and not always named with signs.

Overall don't expect much beer culture in Rome. Here's how to order a beer: "I'd like a beer." (Una birra spina.) Kind of pretend like you're in a Western. You'll get a perfectly fine lager.

That said, Rome is awesome! Amazing, amazing city.

How much time in Zurich, and why..? Can you get out of town or roam around? Could you go from ZRH to Rome by train, maybe with an overnight one? It would take some time but you get to cross the Alps, many stunning vistas... Now that I think of it I insist you do look into it!

I know it's wine country, but Rome is not devoid of beer...

I went on a pub crawl my last time in Rome. We met at the statue at the bottom of the Spanish Stairs. I think it was about 7PM just in case you happen to be in the neighborhood. There were several Americans on the tour also. :D

I didn't see any breweries though.

I make it to Zurich either. :eek:

There is pretty good beer to try in Switzerland. I lived in St. Gallen (about 1hr from Zurich) for 4 years. Try Schützengarten and Feldschlösschen as the largest commerical examples. Both have decent lager and pilsner beer. Feldschlösschen's Hopfenperle is def a good example. In Zürich I recommend you do the touristy things. It is a nice city with quite a few sights and museums if you are interested. Make sure you get some home made Älplermaccaroni or Rösti if you can find a place in one of the side streets that doesn't charge you an arm and a leg. Switzerland IS expensive compared to most other parts of central europe. How much time do you plan to spend in Switzerland? Planning to go to other places besides Zurich? I can recommend Appenzell or visiting the Säntis

There is pretty good beer to try in Switzerland. I lived in St. Gallen (about 1hr from Zurich) for 4 years. Try Schützengarten and Feldschlösschen as the largest commerical examples. Both have decent lager and pilsner beer. Feldschlösschen's Hopfenperle is def a good example. In Zürich I recommend you do the touristy things. It is a nice city with quite a few sights and museums if you are interested. Make sure you get some home made Älplermaccaroni or Rösti if you can find a place in one of the side streets that doesn't charge you an arm and a leg. Switzerland IS expensive compared to most other parts of central europe. How much time do you plan to spend in Switzerland? Planning to go to other places besides Zurich? I can recommend Appenzell or visiting the Säntis
Appenzell and St. Gallen are nice...been there a couple of times. If you get that close to St. Gallen you may as well stop by the castle on the hill in Lichtenstein...:D

We will be staying in Zurich for 4 days total. I think we are going to do a day trip to Interlockin (sp?)

We fly into Zurich, then flying to Rome, then back to Zurich. we thought about doing the train ride, but we would have traveled over night and we wouldnt see much scenery, plus it was actually cheaper to fly than take a train.

You mean Interlaken :D Actually have never been there...surprisingly. They have the only Hooters in Switzerland and is a pretty touristy place as far as I know. While you are in Zurich, spend at least one day going somewhere like Luzern, Basel, St. Gallen, etc. 2-3 days in Zurich is plenty, believe me. I perstonally don't believe Zurich itself (not surouding areas) has enough to do/to see for more than 2 days

Back