zink washer on a cooler MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
I am making a MLT for this weekend's brew session, and I can't find any stainless washers here. Is there a problem with using a zink washer in the short term?

-J

Depends on how you feel about zinc poisoning... ;)

Wort's very acidic, you will get some zinc in the beer. Not good. It's a *****, either keep looking, or if you order from McMaster quickly, you MIGHT get them tomorrow (they ship very quickly and overnight).

No:

9248-IMG_1004.JPG

I took the rubberish grommet that FlyGuy initially has you remove and shoved it back in to seal the gap. Then I put a nylon washer on top of that. Haven't had any sorts of problems this way.

PseudoChef said:
I took the rubberish grommet that FlyGuy initially has you remove and shoved it back in to seal the gap. Then I put a nylon washer on top of that. Haven't had any sorts of problems this way.
My apologies if I wasn't clear, but you NEED that seal to keep the cooler from leaking. It is shown in the fourth picture of my MLT conversion thread.

FlyGuy said:
My apologies if I wasn't clear, but you NEED that seal to keep the cooler from leaking. It is shown in the fourth picture of my MLT conversion thread.

Well, don't I look like an idiot? Hehe...I had a good seal, regardless. I just converted a larger cooler (48 qt Ice Cube), and finally found SS washers at Ace. Much more sturdy now.

Thanks for clearing it up!

Latest posts

Back