Zinfandel Kit - Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
Hello everyone & happy brewing/fermenting (there should be a holiday for this!)

Just had a quick question. I have a Zinfandel kit underway right now that I plan on racking into 5 tiny one gal carboys for experimentation. I plan on adding some oak to two gallons and the remaining three I was hoping to add a fruit flavor somehow... ideally strawberry. My Zin kit is a blend of red & white grape, no fruit (as of right now).

That is when I found this in my pantry (photo attached). It is a flavoring agent meant mainly for Daiquiri flavoring. It is made by Motts and the ingredients include preservatives, so it would be a late stage addition (if at all).

Once my Zinfandel kit is completely finished, fermented out, and the finings have been added... can this be introduced for flavor?

strawberry.jpg

List of ingrediants of the mixer would be helpfull. Not all perservitives are created equel.

Bench test. Its the only way to know if you are gonna be happy with something. Its the best part of wine making!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

My bad, yes of course it would :p

In order: Water, glucose-fructose, citric acid, xantham gum, artificial flavor, sodium hexametaphosphate potassium sorbate, color .

I did rack into small carboys today though... so I will soon be ready to conduct my bench tests on two of the one gallon carboys :-D

List of ingrediants of the mixer would be helpfull. Not all perservitives are created equel.

Bench test. Its the only way to know if you are gonna be happy with something. Its the best part of wine making!

That should work fine as a flavoring/sweetner. Its hard to know how much perservitives it has, so add a campton tab per galleon when ussing it to help keep it from refermenting. Depending on how much sweetner you add you may want to add sorbate as well to keep the yeast is check. There may be enough in the mixer already, but its hard to tell.
Me, if I did not need the jug, I would just add the mixer and wait a few months to see if it referments. Especially if you only use a little bit. Of corse if I liked the flavor it may just get drunk before it gets to the bottle stage!

Hi jensmith,

Thanks for the advice. I never added flavoring to my previous wines and never backsweetened, so wasn't sure how to approach this one but felt it needed a subtle hint of strawberry or berry somehow.

I was going to go buy some fruit extract when i found this in the pantry.

I will try a small amount in a one gallon and see how that works out.

I will be sure to report back on the findings! :D

That should work fine as a flavoring/sweetner. Its hard to know how much perservitives it has, so add a campton tab per galleon when ussing it to help keep it from refermenting. Depending on how much sweetner you add you may want to add sorbate as well to keep the yeast is check. There may be enough in the mixer already, but its hard to tell.
Me, if I did not need the jug, I would just add the mixer and wait a few months to see if it referments. Especially if you only use a little bit. Of corse if I liked the flavor it may just get drunk before it gets to the bottle stage!

Back