Zinc plated/coated fasteners in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I have 4 nuts on my pizza screen-false bottom in contact with 7 gallons of water and 10lbs of grain while mashing...

The nuts are zinc coated/plated. I understand this is BAD but how bad is it? I have mashed 4 separate batches with 7 gallons water, 10 lbs of grain each and just remembered I didn't switch to stainless nuts (used zinc for the mockup)

Comments?

I have 4 nuts on my pizza screen-false bottom in contact with 7 gallons of water and 10lbs of grain while mashing...

The nuts are zinc coated/plated. I understand this is BAD but how bad is it? I have mashed 4 separate batches with 7 gallons water, 10 lbs of grain each and just remembered I didn't switch to stainless nuts (used zinc for the mockup)

Comments?

Stick to stainless:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=189164&postcount=6

You'll live. No big deal. Your next batch will taste even better without the extra metals dissolved into it.

:rolleyes:
I suspect trying to come up with a number would be a lot more work than just replacing the fasteners with stainless.

You were going to do that anyway...

Cheers!

:rolleyes:
I suspect trying to come up with a number would be a lot more work than just replacing the fasteners with stainless.

You were going to do that anyway...

Cheers!

True, as long as someone convinces me that drinking this beer won't kill me :mug:

I picked up stainless nuts today :D

Definitely swap them for stainless, but it's more aesthetics than anything else (i.e. mild metal taste). I highly doubt you'll even notice and it definitely won't hurt you. It's not really toxic unless you ingest a pretty good amount of it all at once (somewhere around 250 milligrams). Even if you dissolved all of your zinc coating into 5 gal of beer you wouldn't even be close...

Why do I know this? I'm an environmental geochemist, it's literally what I do. :-D

Andrew

Definitely swap them for stainless, but it's more aesthetics than anything else (i.e. mild metal taste). I highly doubt you'll even notice and it definitely won't hurt you. It's not really toxic unless you ingest a pretty good amount of it all at once (somewhere around 250 milligrams). Even if you dissolved all of your zinc coating into 5 gal of beer you wouldn't even be close...

Why do I know this? I'm an environmental geochemist, it's literally what I do. :-D

Andrew

This is the exact answer I was looking for!! :mug: :mug:

Andrew
Yep - a while back I did calculate it based on a few factors and the maximum thickness of zinc coating on the washers (that specific question was someone that forgot to swap their washer from ss) and got pretty much that answer - by the time you dilute it in 5 gallons of beer and drink it reasonably steadily (4 a day I think) your still going to be fine even if after 1 batch all the zinc coating had weared off :D

Back