Zero fermentation activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattymaroon

Reaction score
First off, sorry if this question has been posted before. I'm on mobile and I can't for the life of me find a search function.

I brewed 5 gal of Saison, OG 1.044. Pitched WLP 565 (no starter) at 78 degrees and the beer has been cooling off with ambient room temperature to about 73 degrees over the past 36 hours. I have seen zero activity in the airlock and no krausen either.

My minor concern is that 78 degrees may have been too warm and so the yeast is slow to get going - though this temp is at the upper end of temps listed on the WLP packet so I don't think I have too much to worry about. Not to mention a lot of folks on here have said they ferment in the 80s with this yeast.

My bigger concern happened before I pitched the yeast. I set my yeast packet in the windowsill to help it warm up and then forgot about it as the sun moved across the sky and shone directly on my yeast. The packet was quite warm but I don't have a temp reading (would estimate in the 80s). Did I - or can I - kill my yeast this way?

I am still only 36 hours from pitching the yeast, so I am willing to wait a bit longer I'd necessary, though I can't ever remember a yeast not reacting within 36 hours. If nothing happens to my beer in the next few days, what are my options? Can I get a new yeast packet and pitch it at proper a proper temp? Will this give off awful flavors? I'm in new territory - first time with a saison/this yeast, first time 0 fermentation, first time brewing in a new location - so any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Of course as soon as I posted, at the bottom it listed similar threads >.< I will wait for 72 hours and update if I still see no activity and I will take a hydrometer reading this evening to make sure I am truly seeing no fermentation. That said if you've had similar experiences with WLP 565 I am still open to advice and suggestions.

Last edited:
I left my yeast on a warm car seat with direct sunlight hitting it once on accident. The yeast was slow to take off. However, with that yeast I did make a starter after I had cooled the yeast. I'd give it one more day and if nothing, I'd add new yeast.

If it were me, I'd give it another day to start fermenting. At that point I'd think the sun probably destroyed the yeast and re-pitch some fresh yeast. JMO

I left my yeast on a warm car seat with direct sunlight hitting it once on accident. The yeast was slow to take off. However, with that yeast I did make a starter after I had cooled the yeast. I'd give it one more day and if nothing, I'd add new yeast.

We posted almost identical posts about a minute apart...how bout dat :)

Wait it out for another day. Chances are she is getting ready.

If it's in a bucket you can peek down the airlock hole shining a flashlight through the sides. If you see any foam (krausen) developing, she's working.

I doubt the yeast pack got so hot it cooked the yeast, but it is possible. Next time remove the yeast from the fridge when you start brewing, so it can acclimatize. But with liquid yeast you really should make a starter. 1) To prove viability, 2) ramp up the cell count, 3) save some out for making a new starter from next round, and so on.

Try to avoid large temp drops with this yeast, keep her warm and happy, she's a notorious staller midway.

One note, Saison yeasts like it warm, but I always start them out at 68F until around 20-30% is done. This to prevent fusel alcohols from forming due to the yeast binging early on. I then start ramping the temps up 2 degrees a day until I reach 78F and leave it there for 1-2 weeks, until it's done.

Back