Zero aroma from this recipe, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
I brewed this beer a month ago:

(my third beer, own recipe using the hops i had at hand)

Batch Size: 1 gal
Boil Size: 2 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.8%
Bitterness: 44.7 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Morey)

Pale Ale Malt 2.3lb

Unspecified bittering hop ~13.5% 0.050 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 12.0
Cascade 6.8% 0.200 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 24.2
Cascade 6.8% 0.100 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 6.0
Cascade 6.8% 0.150 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 2.4

Safale US-05

Fermented for 4 weeks @ 60F.

After 4 weeks in the fermenter i bottled it but the smell had zero hop aroma, it smelled like bread or malt with a little sweetness. The taste is no more hoppy/aromatic than some of the better commercial pilsners here.
I doubt the smell will get better after 2-3 weeks of bottle carbonation.
Where did it went wrong? Should i just simply wait till it gets carbonated and the hoppy aromas will magically appear?
Or every hoppy beer i have smelled had 0 minute additions and dry hops and that is why they had more aroma?

A tenth of an ounce isn't going to do much for aroma. You need at minimum a full ounce, or more, to get anything noticeable. Then good news is you can still dry hop. Use 2 ounces at least.

The 0 minute and dry hop additions would certainly help with aroma. A 5 minute addition should have helped a little, though.

Keep in mind that when it is carbonated, there will be some carbonation coming out of solution in the glass. This will help to bring some of the aroma out of your beer.

Wait for the final product to make final decisions, but if it doesn't have the aroma you want, brew it again with a 0 minute addition (or even an addition a minute or two after flameout) as well as some dry hops.

A tenth of an ounce isn't going to do much for aroma. You need at minimum a full ounce, or more, to get anything noticeable. Then good news is you can still dry hop. Use 2 ounces at least.

more than 1oz hops for aroma into 1 gallon of beer?

The 0 minute and dry hop additions would certainly help with aroma. A 5 minute addition should have helped a little, though.

Keep in mind that when it is carbonated, there will be some carbonation coming out of solution in the glass. This will help to bring some of the aroma out of your beer.

Wait for the final product to make final decisions, but if it doesn't have the aroma you want, brew it again with a 0 minute addition (or even an addition a minute or two after flameout) as well as some dry hops.

Ok, i will try that out!

I just had an idea, can i open one my chilled bottles and dryhop it before consumption? I would throw half a pellet in and then shake it up, i don't have co2 in it anyways.

I just had an idea, can i open one my chilled bottles and dryhop it before consumption? I would throw half a pellet in and then shake it up, i don't have co2 in it anyways.

I'm confused by your statement here. Why would your bottles be chilled, but not have any co2 in them?

Boiling for any length of time will rapidly evaporate the hop oils, and you will lose aroma very quickly.

If you want hop aroma, of course, dryhopping is the best way. The second best way is to add hops after the boil, when the wort has mostly stopped steaming - like around 170-175degrees or so. This post-boil addition will give you great flavor and a decent amount of aroma, too. The best is a combination of this and dryhopping both.

I'm confused by your statement here. Why would your bottles be chilled, but not have any co2 in them?

I added priming sugar to most of them and put them away but i put 5 uncarbonated bottles into the fridge to play around with, hunt for off-tastes, compare skunking with different bottle colors etc. i might be try to carbonate some of them with a soda syphon just for fun. Basically i don't have problems with wasting away my first 3 brews (they were 1 gallon brews anyway) because i try to learn as much as i can.

Btw i just dropped 1g of chinook pellets into one of my bottles but i think the beer was too cold because the pellets don't want to dissolve so now i took that bottle out of the fridge. I've seen here that i will get an usable amount of aroma within hours.
http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2012/12/12/interesting-paper-on-dry-hopping/

Boiling for any length of time will rapidly evaporate the hop oils, and you will lose aroma very quickly.

If you want hop aroma, of course, dryhopping is the best way. The second best way is to add hops after the boil, when the wort has mostly stopped steaming - like around 170-175degrees or so. This post-boil addition will give you great flavor and a decent amount of aroma, too. The best is a combination of this and dryhopping both.

Yeah, i will brew recipes using lot of late/zero-min and dryhops from now on. By the way will me pellets dissolve in my fermenting 64F cold beer or i have to crush them?

By the way will me pellets dissolve in my fermenting 64F cold beer or i have to crush them?

Yup, they'll dissolve into the beer. No need to crush them up. Don't add them until the beer is done fermenting. Usually after the 7-10 days or so, add them right into the primary when the yeast has mostly dropped out, then let them sit there for another 5-7 days, then bottle.

I added priming sugar to most of them and put them away but i put 5 uncarbonated bottles into the fridge to play around with, hunt for off-tastes, compare skunking with different bottle colors etc. i might be try to carbonate some of them with a soda syphon just for fun. Basically i don't have problems with wasting away my first 3 brews (they were 1 gallon brews anyway) because i try to learn as much as i can.

Btw i just dropped 1g of chinook pellets into one of my bottles but i think the beer was too cold because the pellets don't want to dissolve so now i took that bottle out of the fridge. I've seen here that i will get an usable amount of aroma within hours.
http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2012/12/12/interesting-paper-on-dry-hopping/

Yeah, i will brew recipes using lot of late/zero-min and dryhops from now on. By the way will me pellets dissolve in my fermenting 64F cold beer or i have to crush them?

Got it, that makes sense. It sounds like you're all for experimentation, which is great. My only concern with opening them, adding hops, and then shaking would be oxidation. I'm not sure of the time frame that oxidation needs to become noticeable, but I'm assuming you will be sampling these pretty quickly so it may not be a big concern.

to get a nice hop nose, one ounce at 5 min and one ounce at flameout will do wonders. this is in a 5 gallon batch. personally not a huge fan of dry hopping. it really isn't needed for most pales.

Back