Your opinions on some pics i took

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlejon326

Reaction score
These are pics i took from the bottles of an AG trippel i made. i noticed this same exact sort of formation in my larger 1 liter bottles when i made my IPA. i thought at first infection but when i poured the beer it tasted amazing, no off color or anything. let me know what it might look like to you: (note the "stuff" is lighter in color here due to using the flash to be able to catch the outline)

The pics suck. Artist you are not.

oh

yeah, looks like yeast. Store bottles on side or tipped?

:D

Always store upright. lol and TY on the pics comment :p

is it something to do with overpitching? doubtful - i only use one white labs vial per patch. (i only do 2g batches for the record) i admit i dont have an autosiphon yet, so the last couple of batches when i transferred to my bottling bucket i have to use a good old tube and gravity, and try to avoid the trub. Maybe once i get my order in with my siphon ill see less of this?

My opinions are that you need to adjust the ISO speed and turn off the flash, consider a lightbox for the subject and perhaps zoom a little more....

It looks to either be yeast or break material to me. Are you giving your wort a good rolling boil and for enough time?

Boil should be fine; always got a nice rolling boil and do it for the exact ammount of time, if not a little bit more, and use a immersion chiller to try to get the cold break done quickly.

how long from boil to bottle? I was a little anxious my first few batches and ended up with a lot of bottle sediment. Now I never bottle in less than 4 weeks. Usually 6.

Well, it's a bit much of stuff, but other than the ways already discussed to get a clearer beer, it looks like yeast sediment to me! Maybe search the forums for threads discussing how to get clearer beer. Also, the longer you wait before moving the bottles around (stirring up the sediment) the better compacted it will become, and the less yeast you are likely to get in a glass.

Frankly, I'd tap that!

how long from boil to bottle? I was a little anxious my first few batches and ended up with a lot of bottle sediment. Now I never bottle in less than 4 weeks. Usually 6.

Depends on the starting gravity and yeast strain, temp, etc, but 4 weeks should be ok for most beers. The preferred method is to sample when you pitch the yeast (using a hydrometer) and get a starting gravity, then a few weeks later you can take another sample and write it down. Sample again after 3 days and see if the reading has gotten lower. If not, then you are probably done fermenting.

With this method you can calculate the alcohol amount too.

3 months primary 2 1/2 months secondary. i actually opened a glass of it tonight, and it tasted amazing, and iwth only a week in carb and one day in fridge of course it wasnt ready, but color and taste were there. hoping the banana aroma from the yeast strain i got will settle

Hence the benefit of secondary. I moved a beer to secondary and everything settled out within a couple of days. Also, I think you should bring the temp down to around 50 degrees right before bottling. Seems like the cooler temps cause things to settle faster.

3 months primary 2 1/2 months secondary. i actually opened a glass of it tonight, and it tasted amazing, and iwth only a week in carb and one day in fridge of course it wasnt ready, but color and taste were there. hoping the banana aroma from the yeast strain i got will settle

The Banana flavor is from fermentation at high temps.

Back