Your Go-To Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
want to get an idea of what are some of the best general yeasts that people use. if you had one yeast that you feel was the most versitile in brewing, you could use it with most recipes, works well in a large range of temps, etc.

i know different strains have different effects on turning wort into beer. but is there any out there that you would say is your "fail-safe" stain.

this is not an "I Need Help" question, just a general discussion for some of the newer guys.

S-04 and s-05 are pretty fool proof, I always keep them on hand.

Primarily, I have been using wyeast neobrittania for my English ales and pacman for anything Americanized (stouts, ipas, etc.) because it's so clean.

nottingham also. but not for the reasons you listed necesarily. Its clean fermenting but more importantly its dry. I always keep it on hand and it requires no work to make or maintain and its cheap. I have a few liquid strains I maintain but for "goto" those other qualities are important to me.

So far our "go-to" has been US-05. We've also used US-04 a few times, and its something we try to keep a couple of packets around. I'm also spinning up pacman yeast to keep around too :) If it works as well as I've read, it'll be our go-to.

I keep a good supply of US-05, S-04, 34/70 and Nottingham. They work for 95% of the beer I brew. When I get a wild hair I'll pick up a smack pack of WLP380 or 1728. If someone told me I could have just one I'd choose US-05. Cheers!!!

34/70 for lagers and Nottingham for Ales, I use dry yeast for most of my beers. I really just get liquid for alt's or for some of my high gravity beers.

I keep S-04 and US-05 on hand and use it in most my brews. Most recently I used Wyeast American Ale II but that was for a high gravity DIPA. I plan to wash that and keep it on hand too as I have had success with it in the past.

I mostly use Danstar Nottingham or Safale US-05 unless it is a belgium/hefe or a high gravity ale being brewed.

I keep S-04 and US-05 on hand and use it in most my brews. Most recently I used Wyeast American Ale II but that was for a high gravity DIPA. I plan to wash that and keep it on hand too as I have had success with it in the past.

US-05 makes a great DIPA IMO, up to 11%. 1272 seems to be a little fruity for me. Makes a darn nice APA though. YMMV. Cheers!!!

i just used us-05 on a 10% imperial stout, still in the fermentor but the samples have been excellent

i parti-gyled that mash and got a smaller 1.040 stout, used 05 on that too. that is probably one of the best beers i've ever made.

Depends on the style. American - US-05 or Cal Ale. British - WPL002.

I've used the new NeoBrit for a series of english beers (bitter, Mild & IPA) and am pleased with the results. This may be my new go to english yeast. It flocc's hard, is awesome for top cropping and has a nice "english" flavor. Anyone else have experiences with this yeast? What temps does it do well at etc.?

Cheers

WLP013 London ale yeast. Mostly because I have been propagating it so it costs me $1 to make a starter. But also because I do a lot of malty beers and it has never done me wrong.

I also use us05 and us04 for the vast majority of what I brew (pretty much everything except the wheats and belgians I do use those). I'll use Nottingham in a pinch instead of us04, but I'm not as big a fan. Having said that, my favorite brew I do (a variation on lil sparky's nut brown ale) uses notty!

Back