Your first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hey guys just curious as too what your first brew recipie was and how it went and if there was any memorable moments?? Got mine tomorrow and I'm a little nervous to say the least.

Wish me luck;)

Jamie.

My first beer was some pre-hopped extract recipe. It was basically like making soup.

Don't sweat your first batch. Beer is actually pretty hard to screw up very much so long as you are sanitary on the "cold" side of the process (meaning everything after you turn off the heat). On your first batch, just focus on learning the process. You can start worrying about details later. Like most other things, it gets easier after you do it a few times.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager extract brew. And I didn't know a damn thing about lagering at the time.

It won't be perfect don't expect it to be but like above said learn from it and have fun...be sanitary and you're good

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Coopers kit. I forgot to add something and didn't understand fermentation temps so I created fusels galore. It was so bad that 2 or 3 gave a nasty hangover.

Write down everything that needs to be done like a checklist.

My first was when I was a teenager.....oh....you mean my first homebrew....:D

Kolsch by Brewers Best.,.......extract kit...turned out really nice actually.

What is your first planned for tomorrow?

I was online while brewing my first....and posting updates and questions....it was like live coverage of my first brew....was fun and I got a lot of quick excellent advice....you should do the same!

I didn't understand temps or cell counts until about a year into brewing...VERY important to say the least

I first brewed as a teenager, but it was a distiller's mash, and, well it had alcohol. Later when I started beer, it was an extract kit and I actually have no clue what it was, knowing me it was an Irish Red or Stout. The part that I am sure of is, many mistakes were made.

Mine was a Mr. Beer American Light. It was easy and it made beer. It was a good intro into a great hobby, and thankfully the beer I make has gotten better as I have learned more and taken more control over the process.

Good luck, and welcome to your future! :mug: You're gonna do just fine.

'Truebrew' Oktoberfest extract kit( and Munton's ale yeast not lager). No sanitizer, so used a dilute bleach solution. Fortunately knew enough to rinse well. It turned out surprisingly well and hooked me into this obsession, I mean hobby, well and good. Brewed it on the day after Christmas 2011 and never looked back! :mug:

My first AG story is more interesting than the 3 extract brews i started with before that.

To help christen my new equipment (basically the home made mashtun and grain mill), my group of highschool friends who live spread out across the Americas that I'm still close with all flew in and we made a batch of Pliny the Elder.

The weather was perfect. I set up a work bench with the grain mill on the front lawn. My street is a thoroughfare to the beach so we had crowds of people stopping to watch, asking questions - the most common of which was "will it be ready when I'm on my way back from the beach?".

It was a great way for us to all spend the day together. In the end the brew turned out fantastic and one of them was able to come back and sample it with me. It's actually the best one I've brewed so far.

My first was a wit that I added honey to. I was nervous as hell but it was fun. My LHBS owner gave me his cell in case I ran into trouble. Followed his instructions to a tee and rechecked and rechecked. How naive I was back then :cross:

Two hiccups with my first:

1) My airlock backed up with krauzen and I panicked. It really wasn't a big deal at all.

2) After about 8 days of carbing in the bottle, I cracked one. It tasted great. I put all bottles in the fridge. Mistake. I found a bottle I missed about 5 weeks later. The aging made it the best bottle of the batch. Lesson: give your beer time.

I started brewing beer in 1972. Cider fermentation started in '68. No need to mention the home grown grape experiment in '66.

My first beer was some pre-hopped extract recipe. It was basically like making soup.

Don't sweat your first batch. Beer is actually pretty hard to screw up very much so long as you are sanitary on the "cold" side of the process (meaning everything after you turn off the heat). On your first batch, just focus on learning the process. You can start worrying about details later. Like most other things, it gets easier after you do it a few times.

I have to go with this advice!! Just follow recipe and pay attention to sanitation!!:mug:

Irish red ale extract kit from more beer

I have a whole page of notes probably describing what went wrong LOL

My cooking platform failed. Had to dismantle my BBQ to make a halfass brewing burner. My phone died so I missed a hop addition. Airlock blew out.

Just little things. I suggest taking good notes. My first brews I noted everything and the time. Kinda went OCD. Now I just note what I think is important instead of every breath I took.

In the end I made beer. It was pretty good and everyone that tried it said they really liked it but then again free beer always tastes good. Lol

Just finished mine a bee cave haus ale...went well, original gravity of 1.050.Sanitation was the biggest chore and I realized a few things.

Need a better scale,shallow container to sanitize siphons etc.

Did a couple hopped extract kits in 1981--a pale ale and Irish stout. Had no idea what I was doing. Ferm temps all over the place and I over-carbed. I ended up with a bunch of fizzy, fusel-laden swills that I drank to excess anyway. After those two, I never continued homebrewing until 2 years ago. Did an Irish red extract kit that I underpitched and failed to aerate well. It was a butterbomb. It took several more batches before I started getting it together.

So when should I see bubbling in the airlock? within 24 hrs?

I was given a brew kit for Christmas from my wife, and in spite of the fact I didn't understand the whole "sparge" thing, and didn't know to turn the heat off before adding the last bit of extract, I still made beer. Not good beer by any stretch, but we drank it anyway. At least now, my beers don't suck, and for the most part most are pretty good.

Brewers Best American lite extract(and it was about a month ago)

Only thing I screwed up was the ferm temp. (75) I put it in the closet and I thought it would be cool enough. Nope.

I have 7 different people try it and ALL have liked it. Some have said it was one of the best beers they ever had.

My second batch I used ice in a bucket to keep it cool for a few days. (68ish) It went into bottles today and it tastes way better than the first. Smoother. First batch had an after taste to me that I contribute to the high ferm.

Brooklyn Brewshop Every IPA. No ability to control mash temps...couldnt get siphon going so I poured it into the bottling bucket, dog licked it. Poured it into bottles. Delicious!

I just got done bottling...the sample tasted great.
My snafu: after I put the lid on my fermenting bucket, i pushed in the airlock...and the rubber airlock gasket fell into the wort. I had to sanitize my hand and arm really good...pull off the lid and fish my airlock gasket out. Thought I was gonna crap my pants when that happened.

Jumped right into AG brewing and did a DFH 60 min. clone. Don't remember much going wrong except for the amount of time it took to get through the whole process. I remember it tasting OK. Still working on brewing the perfect beer...yeah right!

So when should I see bubbling in the airlock? within 24 hrs?

Ok got up this morning and it was bubbling like crazy with a big krausen head in only 12 hrs.... I wasn't expecting that!!!

Back