Your expwrience with lactose and mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I just learned the hard way that lactose really increases the fg of the finished beer, yes I used it to retain body in a milk stout just didn't realize how much body, so this batch is really on the border of too sweet. I mashed at 155 to also help retain the body so it was a double whammy. So I'm planning on a rebrew and am thinking to mash at 150-152 which with an addition of .5lb-.75lb of lactose, I don't think I'll be using 1lb again, and using 001 for higher attenuation will bring the fg in the 1.020-1.022 range, down from an og of 1.086-89. Does this seem like a sound technique to still retain the chewy, viscous stout mouthfeel without it being too sweet or cloying. How do u factor in the lactose addition?

Lactose won't do much for mouthfeel, I take it you are making a stout? Try using oats. The oatmeal stout has a thickness to it.

I haven't used lactose much, but I've had good results by formulating my recipe without lactose, assuming that the yeast will attenuate that portion as normal, and then factoring in the lactose separately.

Example, if you factor a recipe and mash such that you're going from ~1.080 to ~1.020 without lactose, and then add 1 lb of lactose into 5 gallons, actual gravities would be ~1.087 and finish ~1.027.

Lactose won't do much for mouthfeel, I take it you are making a stout? Try using oats. The oatmeal stout has a thickness to it.

I'm making an founders bfast stout clone-ish, and the first time I made it the body came out a little thin so it was recommended to me to use lactose as it increases mouthfeel I'm guessing because it raises the fg. This beer has two pounds of oats in it already. Maybe just bumping up the og will help boost the body on its own? My original recipe the og was only in the 1.066 range.

I haven't used lactose much, but I've had good results by formulating my recipe without lactose, assuming that the yeast will attenuate that portion as normal, and then factoring in the lactose separately.

Example, if you factor a recipe and mash such that you're going from ~1.080 to ~1.020 without lactose, and then add 1 lb of lactose into 5 gallons, actual gravities would be ~1.087 and finish ~1.027.

This is what I forgot to do so my fg went from 1.021 without lactose and jumped to 1.028 with it. So I'm trying to formulate a recipe where the fg is 1.016-1.018 without the lactose and around 1.021-24 with it. Beersmith adds .006 points for lactose. I think I'm trying to formulate this correctly, I hope.

Back