Your Experiences - Using Washed WLP300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
Lots of random thoughts in various posts on this subject and would like to perhaps pull them together....

What are your experiences with using washed WLP300 (German Hefeweizen)? I have read/heard so much about not reusing this yeast - or at the very least, only using the top cropped portion of the yeast.

What are your experiences? Anyone used washed WLP300 and had good results?

I one of those who have had bad results when storing this yeast. You probably have read my posts. I'd really like to hear from those who have had good results. How they stored it, how long it was stored, etc...

This idea was pushed out there in the wheat book published this year (which I forget the name of, but it is very good). Top cropped yeasts should retain more of the clove/banana flavor, which trub cropped yeasts tend to be more neutral in flavor.

Even if you are using trub cropped, washed yeasts, you should still get a good wheat beer. If you're having problems, it's probably an issue with something else in your process. As long as you are not letting it sit 6 months in your fridge unused or severly underpitching, you shouldn't have problems using washed yeasts.

I'm on the 4th generation of washed WLP300. I received the original vial of yeast on Nov. 2009.

I read the same info that hefeweizen yeast do not last very long time so I only bother to wash one or two jars.

I do not top crop. I always make a starter and pitch the whole starter - no decanting.

I noticed on my latest hef batch that I didn't get the typical violent fermentation. I used a blow off tube but didn't need it. I still don't have my process dialed in so the SG, fermentation temperatures, etc. weren't identical - tough to call it an apples to apples comparison.

I'll know in a week how this latest batch will taste.

I plan on brewing one more batch then buy a new vial.

I use fermcap, so did away with the blowoff tube.

Previously, when I washed Wy3068 (same yeast type), I found I lost flavor after the second wash.

This time, I tried something different. I cold crashed the Hefe, then sucked up a little yeast in the siphon. Then, I washed the cake and saved it.

What I am hoping is that the cold crash dropped a lot of the yeast out of suspension, so I will have it all. We will see in a few weeks if this worked.

I use fermcap, so did away with the blowoff tube.

Previously, when I washed Wy3068 (same yeast type), I found I lost flavor after the second wash.

This time, I tried something different. I cold crashed the Hefe, then sucked up a little yeast in the siphon. Then, I washed the cake and saved it.

What I am hoping is that the cold crash dropped a lot of the yeast out of suspension, so I will have it all. We will see in a few weeks if this worked.

Very interesting philosophy on retaining that flavor!

If you think of it, post your results when you found out if you had success!

Well, so far, I am approaching 3 days of fermentation with this washed WLP300 and I have vigorous fermentation - so much so that I've had to go to the blowoff tube....

Back