Your Advice Needed: Using Fresh Muscadines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I have some fresh muscadines that I got from my cooperative this week. I am thinking that the flavor might be nice in a Belgian ale. I have seen competing advice on how to use fresh fruit in other threads in this forum.

One school of thought indicates to crush and boil the muscadine first so that any wild yeasts and bacteria (which might impart off flavors) are killed. Detractors say this may detract from the ultimate "fresh" flavor of the muscadine.

The other school of thought argues that the fruit should be crushed, frozen (to further break down cell membranes), and added to a secondary. Some say that only frozen fruit should be used b/c they are steamed before freezing and less likely to impart yeasts and bacteria. Other folks say that the alcohol created in the primary fermentation will kill any bacteria and that yeast won't have too great an effect.

Is there ANY way of getting a definitive answer to this question regarding methodology? If not, I am just going with the first approach as it seems "safer" (that is, less likelihood of having to dump the batch.)

How much flavour from them are you after exactly? An obvious muscadine taste or just something subtly added in, with the malt/hops still being the main event?

Well, I am not sure I can answer that question. I like, but do not love, muscadines. I made some muscadine wine last year and it was cloyingly sweet and tart. I think fermentation would knock out some of that sweetness out of the grapes and leave the tart flavor. So, that is what I am hoping will happen. A nice balance of malt and tart with some mellowing hops might be good ...

Back