Young beer taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygar

Reaction score
I just bottled my first ever brew. A Bavarian Hefe. The last bit that wouldnt fill a bottle have it a taste. The beer color and smell looks good. The taste... well not sure.. a bit of a grapefruit or acidic finish. Is this typical for a young beer? Also, should I bottle condition at 70 orm76F you think? Thanks!!

Bottle at room temp which is 68°F to 70°F but not to worry a couple degrees in either direction.
Young beers can taste great right from the get go. Some need a little conditioning to a lot of conditioning.

The last bit of beer often has more hop residue stirred up in it which tastes like unpleasant bitter grapefruit.

70 or 76 will both work well for bottling. I'd personally stick with 70.

The last bit of beer often has more hop residue stirred up in it which tastes like unpleasant bitter grapefruit.

70 or 76 will both work well for bottling. I'd personally stick with 70.

Yes the last bit left that I sampled def had residue in it... and your description matches what I was tasting

Well it will be very interesting. It was a 1 gallon batch... bottled from primary after 13 days. I'm well on way learning from mistakes lol. I used grolsch flip tops and the fizz drops ... had to force into bottle... tight fit. And figuring out how to reattach the wire flip top thingies... must have had a learning issues on that one ha

wire flip top thingies
Flip-tops are a bit of a puzzle if they pop off or if you have to assemble.
Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to hold the bottle wand in one hand, fill, and then close the Grolsch bottle with the other. There are a whole lot of pros and cons to capping, flip-tops and then kegging.
I noticed you mentioned having to force the drop in. Maybe consider a measuring spoon with a funnel or batch priming for next time. The concern is touching the priming sugar at that stage of the game.

Flip-tops are a bit of a puzzle if they pop off or if you have to assemble.
Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to hold the bottle wand in one hand, fill, and then close the Grolsch bottle with the other. There are a whole lot of pros and cons to capping, flip-tops and then kegging.
I noticed you mentioned having to force the drop in. Maybe consider a measuring spoon with a funnel or batch priming for next time. The concern is touching the priming sugar at that stage of the game.

Yes i removed the wire stoppers and gaskets for sanitization. So had to reassemble ... and the fizz drops were a pain. I made sure I disinfected my hands but with it all... its concerning as it first batch at it all. If infection shows its ugly head will drink it fast!!

Yes i removed the wire stoppers and gaskets for sanitization. So had to reassemble ... and the fizz drops were a pain. I made sure I disinfected my hands but with it all... its concerning as it first batch at it all. If infection shows its ugly head will drink it fast!!
I was just going to quote "wire stoppers and gaskets," but there's a titch more to unpack here since you're new to the game.
I appreciate you forward-thinking, by the way! I figured and hoped that you did sanitize your hands and was fairly certain that happened--well done on that. I do dip my hands in Starsan solution countless times during a brew and bottling day for various actions like grabbing the edge of a fermenter or the hose for transferring to a bottling bucket, etc.
You don't need to remove the metal mechanism and cap for a Grolsch bottle but you should remove the gasket and put it in Starsan (or like solution).
If you were to use this:
1597458653178.png
, it sanitizes the bottles and, if you'll notice, there's space off to the side to submerse the top of the bottle, the metal and cap.
Note; I could have misinterpreted your post, wildly, and it is what it is. I had fun finding and pasting a proper photo.
Cheers.

I was just going to quote "wire stoppers and gaskets," but there's a titch more to unpack here since you're new to the game.
I appreciate you forward-thinking, by the way! I figured and hoped that you did sanitize your hands and was fairly certain that happened--well done on that. I do dip my hands in Starsan solution countless times during a brew and bottling day for various actions like grabbing the edge of a fermenter or the hose for transferring to a bottling bucket, etc.
You don't need to remove the metal mechanism and cap for a Grolsch bottle but you should remove the gasket and put it in Starsan (or like solution).
If you were to use this: View attachment 693995, it sanitizes the bottles and, if you'll notice, there's space off to the side to submerse the top of the bottle, the metal and cap.
Note; I could have misinterpreted your post, wildly, and it is what it is. I had fun finding and pasting a proper photo.
Cheers.
I removed the wire baskets (right term?) and gaskets because they would not fit on my drying rack with them on. And I figure it would help with cleaning as well. I do have a rinser (yellow kind) somewhat like you posted. I bought some stuff used and this was pretty much given to me. But I dont trust it yet lol.. so I dunked the bottles in starsan instead. Soaked the wire and gaskets as well.

Back