you know you have fermentable wort when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
...you come home and find the spent grain in your trash can has begun to ferment.

hehe, its like hooch. Anyone else experience this with their spent grain?

Whoa, big guy, that all that sugar that's fermenting in your trash can is sugar that ought to be in your wort. You better rinse those grains well and add it back in. Better yet, just make a second beer. Mmmmm, parti(trash)gyle.

Actually, I doubt it's yeast at work on your spent grains. More likely mold. I'd get that out of the house ASAP. Not only will it stink, if anyone in the house is allergic to molds (like I am), you might get some bad reactions.

Whoa, big guy, that all that sugar that's fermenting in your trash can is sugar that ought to be in your wort. You better rinse those grains well and add it back in. Better yet, just make a second beer. Mmmmm, parti(trash)gyle.

Actually, I doubt it's yeast at work on your spent grains. More likely mold. I'd get that out of the house ASAP. Not only will it stink, if anyone in the house is allergic to molds (like I am), you might get some bad reactions.

Dunno, I hit my OG almost perfectly. I think no matter what, there will always be some leftover sugar in there (thats why nobody gets 100% efficiency...unless your budweiser).

I agree on the second part though.. it is most likely mold, and yes.. its out da house (in the garage trash can). The smell was not good, its what tipped me off to something sinister in the can. The bag was definitely giving off heat though. lol

That's why you get a compost pile!

It's a perfect place for spent grains. You can use the compost to grow hops, it don't get any more 'eco' then that!

Back