Yooper's Dead Guy Clone - S-04 / US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
I'm about to brew 10 gallons Yoopers Dead Guy Clone.

I have one packet of US-04 and two packets of S-04 yeast. (oh, and some one-year old Coppers yeast)

I packet for each 5 gallon primary.

I'm hearing some bad things about S-04, I was thinking that the esters of the S-04 would go well with this style of beer. But then maybe not.

Any suggestions.

There's another thread going at the moment where a couple to a few people have reported diacetytl type flavours in batches made with US-05. And the general consensus seems to be that, when using S-04, if you keep your fermentation temps down at around 64f you'll avoid producing any unwanted esters so if you want some ester-y notes in there allowing temps to go up to 70 or 72, or so, in the first few days after pitching might get you the required results.

How's about trying S-04 in both fermenters, but keeping one down at 64 and under and let the other go at a higher temp of your choosing, and see how discernible a difference there is:mug:

Back