Yikes! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueMac

Reaction score
Okay, get out the tissues:
I was ready to bottle my Hard Limeade last Saturday and hubby was very kind to offer to carry the 5 gallon carboy out to the kitchen. Wellllll, the carboy handle wasn't on tight enough (I don't usually move it that far...) and oops... handle came off the carboy, the 5 gallon carboy went down and Hard Limemade foamed, splashed and splattered all over! UGH! Hubby reacted very quicky and amazingly, not a lot was lost.

We put the handle back on VERY TIGHTLY- it will probably be on there forever, put a clean stopper and airlock back on and put it back where it had been. MY QUESTION: Do you think a week will be enough time for it to resettle or should I wait longer? As it's a limeade (a little pulpy), it was never truly "clear". (It was fully fermented and ready to be bottled.) I intend to bottle carb. Your input and advice is very much appreciated!!!!!

Okay, get out the tissues:
I was ready to bottle my Hard Limeade last Saturday and hubby was very kind to offer to carry the 5 gallon carboy out to the kitchen. Wellllll, the carboy handle wasn't on tight enough (I don't usually move it that far...) and oops... handle came off the carboy, the 5 gallon carboy went down and Hard Limemade foamed, splashed and splattered all over! UGH! Hubby reacted very quicky and amazingly, not a lot was lost.

We put the handle back on VERY TIGHTLY- it will probably be on there forever, put a clean stopper and airlock back on and put it back where it had been. MY QUESTION: Do you think a week will be enough time for it to resettle or should I wait longer? As it's a limeade (a little pulpy), it was never truly "clear". (It was fully fermented and ready to be bottled.) I intend to bottle carb. Your input and advice is very much appreciated!!!!!

If you don't care if it's clear or not, and the SG has been stable all this time, then bottle away!

And..........NEVER use the carboy handle to carry a carboy. Ever. Never. That's not what they are designed for, believe it or not. They are just there to "stabilize" the carry. You still carry from the bottom. You're lucky he wasn't cut! One of my friends had a trip to the ER from carrying a 6.5 gallon carboy (empty) when the neck snapped off and sliced her wrist to the bone. Please be careful! Use a milk crate to carry the carboy, or a commercial product called a "brewhauler". End of lecture.

I made the limeaide version a few years ago and mine was never clear but it sure was tasty! I learned my lesson with an empty carboy and I've never used one of those damn things since - you're lucky!

+1 on yoop's post. Also, be very careful when cleaning that carboy. I had one break on me a couple weeks ago. Had a nice ride in the ambulance, many stitches, and surgery to repair a severed tendon and nerve. I have no feeling in my thumb and two fingers now, plus limited movement. I'm not sure what caused it to break, but you should inspect it carefully for small cracks before handling it.

+1 on yoop's post. Also, be very careful when cleaning that carboy. I had one break on me a couple weeks ago. Had a nice ride in the ambulance, many stitches, and surgery to repair a severed tendon and nerve. I have no feeling in my thumb and two fingers now, plus limited movement. I'm not sure what caused it to break, but you should inspect it carefully for small cracks before handling it.

+1000! If that thing hit the ground at all I would be done with it. I recently bought a Better Bottle as I have used Carboys almost exclusively since I started brewing a year and a half ago. I just feel like I am rolling the dice every time I mess with one anymore.

Thanks, everyone! Wow! I'm glad I posted this not only for myself but this is important information to share, no doubt!! I had no idea of the dangers! In retrospect, it truly makes sense! How can one expect the narrow neck of a carboy to support 5 gallons or more of (liquid) weight without compromising it!

As I keep all my equipment in the downstairs bathtub, it was only a matter of elevating the bucket or carboy onto a short stool - a few feet movement, at best. And that's the way I've always done it...hubby was being helpful. SO GLAD he didn't get hurt! Wow again!

I'll inspect the carboy when I bottle this weekend. I need it for my next concoction! Homebeerbrewer, I'm very sorry to hear that and the same to your friend, Yooper!

Thanks for pointing out the 'brewhauler', I never knew they existed, I'll have to get some of them

Thanks, everyone! Wow! I'm glad I posted this not only for myself but this is important information to share, no doubt!! I had no idea of the dangers! In retrospect, it truly makes sense! How can one expect the narrow neck of a carboy to support 5 gallons or more of (liquid) weight without compromising it!

As I keep all my equipment in the downstairs bathtub, it was only a matter of elevating the bucket or carboy onto a short stool - a few feet movement, at best. And that's the way I've always done it...hubby was being helpful. SO GLAD he didn't get hurt! Wow again!

I'll inspect the carboy when I bottle this weekend. I need it for my next concoction! Homebeerbrewer, I'm very sorry to hear that and the same to your friend, Yooper!

Did the carboy go down hard onto the ground?? I'd definately inspect it for cracks, fractures, Better safe then sorry :D

Did the carboy go down hard onto the ground?? I'd definately inspect it for cracks, fractures, Better safe then sorry :D

+ 1 on inspecting that carbouy. I've discovered serious cracks in a carbouy that I KNOW weren't there when I bought it, as I ALWAYS inspect them very carefully before I buy them. No idea how or why it developed the crack, but it did. Regards, GF.

It went down on fairly thick linoleum (a few inches prior would have been on hardwood floor...). I'll inspect it this weekend when I rack and bottle (don't see anything at this point but rather heavy to move around too much). I have all ingredients for a batch of Apfelwein set to go into the cleaned 5 gallon carboy. Any sign of a crack and it's a "no go"!
Here's a link to my LHBS and a carboy hauler: http://www.beer-wine.com/product_info.asp?productID=1111&sectionID=1

I obtained a 6-gallon carboy a couple of years ago along with a bunch of used brewing equipment. As I was inspecting the carboy (after I got home, naturally) I was surprised to see a steel pellet - about a size #4 - imbedded in the side of the carboy. There were no cracks of any sort but I pitched it anyway. It's amazing what glass will do. Some carboys will shatter if you so much as look at them wrong and others will survive a drop that you're sure would break them.

Latest posts

Back