Yet Another Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quid_non

Reaction score
Been making starter cultures for some time now - may not be time effective but enjoy the process and am striving to make beer better! Trying to put some limits on what I read vs reality - - do not have a microscope /hemocytometer to count

Here's the deal:
White Labs WLP029 - mfg date Jun 06, 2017, best by 12/02/17
Brewing an AG Octoberfest (yeah - I know it's December)...
Various starter calculators say viability ~20-30% (est ~ 26bn cells/pack)

Given the age of the starter and viability = made a 2 step starter:
#1 - 1.0L (~101 gDME/1000 mL H20, fermaid, yeast nutrient(boil ~5-10 min) ) - add pure pitch pack, ~48hrs stir plate
cold crash - ~24hrs, decant ~900mL (= ~100mL yest cake + wort)
#2 - 2.0L (~202g DME/2L H20 fermaid, yeast nutrient(boil ~5-10 min) ) - add ~100 mL slurry form above, ~48hrs stir plate

Now - with uniform slurry decant 5ea 50mL tubes of #2 above and place remaining ~2000mL of starter into 0.5gal mason jar - cold crash all

3 days later
all 5 - 50 mL tubes show ~3mL settled yest cake (see pic below)
0.5gal mason jar ~40mL settled cake

Assuming that a settled yeast cake has ~2bn cells/mL = 6bn cells
now 50mL represents ~1/45 total volume of starter - - -45*6bn = 270bn cells total

Now the question - - several "yeast starters" site indicate that based on what I described I should have ~450bn - 330bn cells

The age old question = how many cells are in a settled yeast cake volume?

It matters (or not) - For homebrewers we may need to accept an ~2fold difference in pitch rate based on starter calculations based on this model. It may be related to the basic assumption that a settled yeast cake contains 2-4 bn cells/mL (a two fold variance).

In the end all that matters is if the beer turns out great - - bur it matters if you have a favorite recipe and you want to repeat often?

Thoughts / Criticisms??

Last edited:
Various yeast viability estimates are just that, estimates. Think about this. White labs says the best by date is 12/02/2017. Do you really think they would risk the reputation of their company on a best by date if the viability was only 20 to 30% by then? I think the viability estimates are way off. Read through this experiment on yeast viability.

http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2012/12/refrigeration-effects-on-yeast-viability.html

Back