Yet Another Yeast Cake/Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I have a house pale ale that is a little hoopy in primary coming up on 2weeks. I wanted to know if I could simply snag about a quart of the yeast cake (Nottingham) and use this to make a quick start (just dump it into 2ltrs of weak wort) and give is a hech of a good shake (1 gallon jug). I am thinking this will rouse the yeast and get some growth after about 48hrs. I am not concerned about the hops from the pale ale as I am making an IPA with some of the same hops.

Any idea/comments?? I have read of others simply dumping pn the yeast cake, but I use my brew pale to help measure the runnoff from the mashtun and therefore need the pale (and obviously another one:D).

Thanks
HB.Hudy

If you can wait, I'd package the pale ale while you brew and just put the IPA directly on to the yeast cake.

Just check mrmalty for the proper pitch rate. Then convert the ml to tablespoons, and use a sanitized tablespoon to harvest cake. No starter needed, since it is currently in a 5 gallon starter.

El_Exorcisto thanks for the advice. It looks like scooping up about 200ml would be plenty. If I guestimate this it is about half a pint of the yeast cake.

Yes but remember most of that is spent hops and dead yeast. Put in a bigger mason jar swirl and let the layers settle out maybe in fridge the very bottom lighter color yeast is what u want.

Back