yet another ramble from truble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
so, I have my first official blow-out! I have been checking my primary regularly all day since it has been so much more active than my first batch. Within 15 minutes, I have gone from super-aggresive bubbling to blow out through my 3 piece!

Question: with fermentation and pressure this steady, how high is the risk of contamination? I switched out the airlock with another (cleaned and sanitized first), but with this much pressure, am I over-worrying?

side note- in just a couple days since I first tested my first batch, it has cleared 100%- I can read things through the glass! I am so happy...Have some friends coming over tonight for the Pats game, and am chilling some down for them!

You don't have anything to worry about while it's blowing off. As soon as it subsides clean and sanitize the airlock and replace it and you'll be fine.

I use a blow-off tube for a few days for the aggressive fermenting to settle down. Then I put the bubbler on. If you miss hearing the bubbler noise...run the tube into a small bucket with some water in it, and it will work fine, and act the same as an air lock. ;)

Back