Yet another question about fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
Alright, after 36 hours of no noticeable activity in my airlock, curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the lid off of my primary fermenter (6.5 gallon plastic "Ale Pail" bucket). I was rather pleased with what I saw, which basically confirmed to me that fermentation was occuring. There was a small presence of bubbles on the surface, although I did expect more.

But, the really good news was the ring of residue around the edge of the bucket just above the surface of the brew. I quickly scanned through my brewing book (Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian) which said this is a byproduct from the massive foaming of initial fermentation, which is left behind after the kraeusin (sp?) drops back into the brew.

So, I'm happy to know that fermentation definitely did occur. I thought it did, anyway, because of the smells coming from the bucket today. BUT, obviously my airlock wasn't acting like it should have. I've made other posts in this subforum about my concerns, and I received a lot of replies stating that I likely didn't have a great seal around the lid of the bucket. To test it, I pressed down on the lid, and the only place I noticed air escaping was through the airlock itself. I detected no airflow anywhere around the lip of the lid (of course, that doesn't mean there wasn't any leakage...just that I couldn't detect it).

So, is there a chance I'm doing something wrong with airlock preparation? I have a three-piece type airlock. I filled it up to the line on the outer cylinder with sanitized water solution (about two inches deep, I'm guessing). There are bubbles in the solution, but they're immobile (it looks like Sprite or 7-Up). But, I haven't seen a single CO2 bubble escape the airlock, or the water in the airlock rise like I understand it should. Any ideas?

if you're sure of the fermentation occuring as you said, and you didn't get a blowout, then I would wait for a week and then take a hydrometer reading. if that is where it should be, then rack it. Oh, and you can continue using the airlock, the fermentation could be done, and you just missed it. sometimes, you have to really watch the airlock for several minutes to catch a bubble. but, if the yeast worked, then after a week, it should be good.
good luck!
(i guess you could test you airlock with the water in it and tilt your head and blow up into it, simulating the pressure from the fermenter (?). just be sure to clean and sanitize it again before replacing it.)

I'm not convinced about that test where you press on the lid and look for bubbles. I've had bad seals where there was no activity in the airlock and it bubbled like crazy when pushing on the lid. My solution? use your carboy with a blowoff tube. Then you'll be able to see it. Hang onto that bucket, tho. Use it for bottling.

ablrbrau said:
I'm not convinced about that test where you press on the lid and look for bubbles. I've had bad seals where there was no activity in the airlock and it bubbled like crazy when pushing on the lid. My solution? use your carboy with a blowoff tube. Then you'll be able to see it. Hang onto that bucket, tho. Use it for bottling.

My kit actually came with two buckets. One for primary fermentation, and another identical bucket, only with a hole cut out in the bottom, and a spigot to go in that hole. I really think getting a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for primary is the way to go here.

If I got a 6.5 gallon for primary, I wouldn't need a blow off valve, correct? The airlock should work fine in that setup, wouldn't it?

Since I have a ring of residue around the bucket, does this mean fermentation is done? That seems very fast to me. Maybe I'd be best off putting some more yeast in there? Or should I just wait the week before racking?

That depends on the type of brew you are making the the type/strain of yeast. Some dry yeasts have been known to cause blowouts in even a 6.5gallon carboy. I always use a blowoff tube for my primary just to be safe. If I see in a few days that the krausen is not getting anywhere near the top, then i quickly take off the blowoff tube and replace with a bung/airlock.

You are correct in assuming using carboys for primary is the way to go. I use them in all aspects of brewing and dont even use the buckets my kit came w/. Actually it is a good way to get a friend into brewing by giving him/her those buckets. Even though there are much more expensive pieces to purchase for a brew setup, having two of the largest components might "entice" your friend to buy the rest for himself. Well this worked in my case with a friend of mine..

Cheers

greg75 said:
My kit actually came with two buckets. One for primary fermentation, and another identical bucket, only with a hole cut out in the bottom, and a spigot to go in that hole. I really think getting a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for primary is the way to go here.

If I got a 6.5 gallon for primary, I wouldn't need a blow off valve, correct? The airlock should work fine in that setup, wouldn't it?

That is correct. I just meant that in the interim, until you spring for the big carboy, the one you have will work just fine with a blowoff tube. Also, think about getting carboy carriers- a lot safer!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/brew-hauler.jpg

I have had the same problem while my batch has been in primary. Well actually i didn't even fill my air lock with water the first time i ever brewed and my beer came out fine... must have been lucky. But that was using a carboy for primary but now i use a bucket and rack over to the carboy for secondary. I also use the three piece air lock on my bucket and i can only barely see any bubbles in it but when i press down on the lid i can very clearly see CO2 escaping. I believe this might be due to the fact that the lid could be a little bit "warped" or has a bulge but still able to hold a tight seal. I could be dead wrong too though... just a suggestion.

greg75 said:
Since I have a ring of residue around the bucket, does this mean fermentation is done? That seems very fast to me. Maybe I'd be best off putting some more yeast in there? Or should I just wait the week before racking?

yes
yes, but not unusual
no
yes

david_42 said:
yes
yes, but not unusual
no
yes

Thanks for getting right to the point! :D

Now, I forgot to take an OG reading before pitching, but another member here calculated that it would be about 1.051 based on the ingredients I used. Today, I took a reading, and it was at 1.022. I added .001 for temp. adjustment, to get to 1.023. By checking the chart that came with my hydrometer, that would put my ABV at somewhere around 3.2%. This seems really low to me. Is it possible that fermentation isn't completely done yet?

greg75 said:
Thanks for getting right to the point! :D

Now, I forgot to take an OG reading before pitching, but another member here calculated that it would be about 1.051 based on the ingredients I used. Today, I took a reading, and it was at 1.022. I added .001 for temp. adjustment, to get to 1.023. By checking the chart that came with my hydrometer, that would put my ABV at somewhere around 3.2%. This seems really low to me. Is it possible that fermentation isn't completely done yet?

You've got a ways to go. FG will prolly be between 1.005 (low side) and 1.015 (high side). Like I said earlier, when gravity is the same for 3 days or so, fermentation is done. When did you pitch yeast, about 3 or 4 days ago? Patience, man, patience!;)

ablrbrau said:
You've got a ways to go. FG will prolly be between 1.005 (low side) and 1.015 (high side). Like I said earlier, when gravity is the same for 3 days or so, fermentation is done. When did you pitch yeast, about 3 or 4 days ago? Patience, man, patience!;)

Yes, as you can see, patience, or lack thereof, to be more accurate, is my downfall! :eek: I know I'm probably worrying way too much about the little things in this process, but I kind of went into it not knowing what to expect. I fully expect the second brew to be a lot more stress-free, having been through it once before.

Still, I'd really like to see that airlock work like it should! (See, I just can't leave it alone :D )

Back