Yet another newbie quewtion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoMatt

Reaction score
It's been 6 days since I brewed my first batch, now the fermentation seems to be very slow. I have an IPA which recommended 64-72 degrees F to ferment. I have it about 65 now(which is what the house is at) and now 6 days in I have pressure in the Ale Pale but not a lot of bubbling up through the airlock in the last day or so. Is this normal? I imagine it is and I just have the common new brew guy worries, just don't want my first batch to go to hell

Thanks for the help as usual/

It's been 6 days since I brewed my first batch, now the fermentation seems to be very slow. I have an IPA which recommended 64-72 degrees F to ferment. I have it about 65 now(which is what the house is at) and now 6 days in I have pressure in the Ale Pale but not a lot of bubbling up through the airlock in the last day or so. Is this normal? I imagine it is and I just have the common new brew guy worries, just don't want my first batch to go to hell

Thanks for the help as usual/

Sounds fine to me....all my batches seem to slow down alot after 6 to 7 days....Just let her ride and she'll be okay. However a SG reading could help ease the mind tell you where you are also if your using a bucket, you'll see the bubbles still popping to the surface once you open to get the sample for the reading...Side note damn I love tasting my samples....:rockin:

Mine are usually done fermenting in 4 days.

Also, turkey basters can work great as a thief if you have one.

If I were to do this, what amount and type of hops would get the job done?

Without the recipe, it's hard for others to know what type you should add add, but you probably couldn't go wrong with any hop type you added in the last 20 minutes of the boil.

I would just get into the habit of not even checking the primary until two weeks in - patience is a virture and will reward you with excellent beer. For now, everything seems normal.

I second the fermtech thief. As long as you sanitize the thief and hydrometer, you don't have to forfeit any beer (unless you are tasting as well).

Matt, here's one more option for taking samples: 1/4" copper tubing will slip through the inside of the airlock grommet. Let's me take samples without removing the bucket lid.

I pop the airlock, place it temporarily in a clean juice glass & siphon out just enough to fill my test vessel. I have a 14" piece of 1/4" copper w/a couple feet of flexible tubing on one end. Before taking a sample I stick the business end in a 1 quart pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes.

Works great & I like leaving the bucket lid in place.

yeah, if it is an American IPA, use Cascade. If it is an English, use Goldings or Fuggles. Sometimes you just have to use what is at the local store that day. 1 oz is plenty, imo.

Back