Yet another newb batch infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdubz

Reaction score
I did my first all grain batch, third overall using EdWort's HPA recipe. Hit numbers, used plenty of star san. Or so I thought.

Took a gravity reading last Sunday, 1 week in primary. OG of 1.042, reading was at 1.010. Fermentation had occurred, but there were bubbles on the top, strange bubbles ( I think). There were big ones, and then a slimey, filmy stuff that was stuck to the turkey baster I used to grab a sample.

HPA_2012-09-09.jpg

Then there was the smell.... My brewing partner and I decided on dead jock strap... as if a living jock was bad, this is one that had passed on and rotted.
We tasted it, and it was filthy terrible. I figured, hey, I've read that fermentation is a nasty business, so f it, give it a week.

Well... I gave it until tonight to peak, and here is what I see.
HPA+gone+bad.jpg

I use that blue bin with water and a t-shirt and fan as a swamp cooler. I think the problem my be because I used the same shirt, still wet, probably soaked in nasties from my previous batch.

So, is it a pour? The smell is still rancid, and I can't feel good about trying to save a short term grain to glass beer when it seems soooo awful (good excuse to brew again sooner)

If it is infected, do I need to trash the fermentor bucket as well, or is safe to give it thorough clean/sanitize and use again?

Thanks very much, homebrewing and this forum have become my addiction.
Andrew

Thanks man, I can handle screwing up, just not giving up. Lucky for me my new kettle arrived today so the itch to brew is strong.

Back