Yet another Georgia brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatmanDu

Reaction score
Greetings from Oconee County in Georgia. A good friend of mine and I were sitting around his basement bar drinking some beer (Shiner Bock) and discussing how we'd heard it was supposed to be pretty easy to brew our own beer. After a little internet research, he came back with a Mr. Beer kit :cross: and we set to making the first brew. This wasn't our first brush with fermentation (and that's all I'll say about that), but certainly the first beer. But it came out fairly well, which was a relief after hearing anecdotal stories about nasty first brews. We've gotten a couple of other refills to practice with while we shop about for equipment upgrades. Eventually we'd like to keg, but we're going to work up to that.

In any case, the Linebacker Dopplebock refill is in the fermenter with another 5 days to go and I've been reading my ass off on this site and others. My friend is partial to Shiner Bock and Yuengling, and I favor stouts and porters and what I call "dessert beers"- side note, did Southern Tier sell their soul to the devil to get those flavors?- so I expect we'll have a couple of different types on hand. Once we upgrade equipment, we'd like to use the Mr. Beer kit to try making a mead; although I haven't read up much on meadmaking yet.

If you can find them, those one gallon glass jugs work great for small batches of mead and hard cider. If you buy them at fancy places like whole foods, they'll have apple juice already in them. All you need is an airlock and a rubber stopper with a hole in it.

Just pop the cap off the juice, drop in some yeast and add the airlock. You'll have hard cider in a month or so. Then you can use it to make a mead after. This will also leave your Mr Beer kit free to make beer at the same time.

Just a suggestion and welcome from Atlanta!

Welcome to our little world of beer! You mentioned fermenting - the good thing about brewing beer is that you don't throw away the first gallon or the last:D and you'all don't worry gettin' caught doing it . . .

Latest posts

Back