Yet another dumb newb question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
I am in process of building a single tier brew stand and have yet another dumb question. I have three keggles and three banjo burners. I was intending to build a rims system but planned on just recirculating via a march pump with low heat under my mash tun..... I guess I missed something.... Will this be adequate or should I work on building something in addition to this?

Why would you need to heat the mt with a rims setup? Most rims use an electric element to heat the wort.

_

Do you have some type of temp controller, like a PID? Without it how would you hold your mash temp? With it and your pump it should be an easy step to a RIMS of a HERMS setup.

Nope sorry guys I have completely misunderstood the concept of a rims system. I feel like I have seen others recirculate the wort by simply putting the mash tun on very low heat and pumping the wort back on top. I haven't actually made my first all grain batch yet so much of it is still foreign to me. Hopefully buying the third banjo burner was not a waste.....

It just depends on how you use it. ;)

Lots of brutus clones have 3 burners. You will have to have a temp controller to turn the Mash Tun burner on and off to maintain a temp as well a step a mash temperature.

You can do it with 2 or even one burner if you have a heat exchanger to move heat from the Hot Liquor Tank to the wort in the Mash Tun.

Most RIMS are electric. They use a heating element in a tube that the Mash Tun wart flows though. You can also use a RIMS to fly sparge.

If you already have three burners and don't want to invest in much more equipment, you should look into temp controllers for the burners. These will safely turn the burner on (with a pilot light or spark ignition) and off to maintain a target temp. You will need at least one for the Mash Tun and a second one for the HLT would be useful to hit your strike water and sparge water targets.

Latest posts

Back