Yet another DIY Keg Tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronhrab

Reaction score
So this is my DIY Keg Dimple Tool, I made it from a 18mm Husky brand socket, it is one that goes on the larger of the three standard ratchets. I used a hardened steel .5 inch by 4 inch carriage bolt and various washers, and the punch socket from my harbor freight bought punch set as coupler. I do have to add a couple of .25 inch bolts under the coupler to have enough space to pull the socket through. I did grind the edge of the socket down a little to make it fit in the half inch hole a little better. I just got lucky that my sockets are beveled and in all I spent about 2 bucks to make this bad boy and I must say it works perfectly. I will probably switch from a carriage bold to a hex bolt because it occasionally be a pain to get the bolt started or off.

photo.jpg

I dont understand what this is used for...holes in kegs?

Is this different from a knockout punch or just cheaper?

It to put a dimple in the keg so you can weld/solider your fittings on.

You can see by this picture there is actually a dimple in the keg wall to allow for much more surface area bonding with the solder.

68307d1342324046-my-brew-stand-solder-joint-hlt-large-.jpg

It would be real tough to solder a coupler in without doing it this way. Weld, yes... Solder, probably not.

Back