Yet another Brutus Ten Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luke,
Lets see some pics before it all melts!

I took a break. Here are some pics :mug:

I finished mounting the pumps and made the protective shield for the pumps

web.jpg

I'm a good ways into the gas plumbing but I've ran into a stopping point.
I did not measure one of the pipes right. I would run and get the right size, but I've had a couple homebrews and don't feel like getting a dui today :) I'll pick it up tomorrow.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Since I'm stuck at the house, I'm going to mount the plate chiller with what I have, cut my tubing to length and attach the disconnects.

I'll try to post some more pics later.

I finished up everything I could do today. I can't wait to brew on this thing. I played around with the pumps transferring water from vessel to vessel. Pumps are sooooo much better than gravity. Priming the pumps was also very easy.

I do need an idea for setting up the plate chiller. I really do not like this setup, but it will work for the time being.
web.jpg

Also on the plate chiller, I'm going to have to use a stainless coupler to connect my qd. Unless mcmaster sells a qd with a 1/2 female thread. It's not showing on the catalog, I'll call them next week.
web.jpg

My buddy with the mig welder moved, so I can't weld anything right now. I'm planning on getting a hobart mig welder, but it will be later this year. As soon as that happens, I plan on making the back beam a gas pipe. I'm also thinking of swapping out the middle banjo for a smaller burner. I don't know what I was thinking. The mash tun really doesn't need that much heat.

If I'm able to accomplish any more tomorrow, I'll post some pics.

Thanks for the input and advice.

I have the same coupler, they don't have Male Coupler with female pipe thread. It's a bummer you have to use a pipe coupler. Would look much better without the extra piece.

You could get a new orifice for the banjo and drill it to a smaller size. Less BTU's. Cheaper, burners already mounted.

Looking good BTW.

I went with mild steel also and know what you mean about waiting to paint. For one thing I want to try things out and make any changes before finish, and paint don't stick to cold steel. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Looks good so far. Here are some pics that might help with mounting your gas line and exchanger. click on the pics to get a better look. The gas line is an angle from home depot with a 1/2" electrical conduit holder screwed to it. Simple as it gets. The exchanger has a 1x1 metal tube under it, secured to the frame. I slide some steel bar thru the 1x1 tube. Drilled holes to allow a bolt and the same on top with wing nuts. Its basically a big clamp. Just an idea.

Heatexh.jpg

Gasbottom.jpg

The exchanger has a 1x1 metal tube under it, secured to the frame. I slide some steel bar thru the 1x1 tube. Drilled holes to allow a bolt and the same on top with wing nuts. Its basically a big clamp. Just an idea.

That's slick. A very flexible way to mount a variety of accessories.

Nice Snake10. I have a Thermonater and would prefer one like yours with all connections on the same side. Connections on both sides is kind of a PITA as far as I'm concerned. No way to make it look any better than a Cluster***k. As well as difficult to remove for baking.

Now if they had the Wort in/out on one side and cooling water in/out on the other that would be much better. Oh well just my opinion, I'm sure others like the way it is.

Anyway yours looks good.

I have the same coupler, they don't have Male Coupler with female pipe thread. It's a bummer you have to use a pipe coupler. Would look much better without the extra piece.

Thanks, that'll save me a phone call. Yeah, it would look a lot better without the coupler.

Snake and RonRock, How long did it take you to build your systems? They're so clean.

I bought a pipe that fits today. It'll work for now. I'm definitely not finished with the gas plumbing or the way the burners are orientated. I'm really trying to use the brutus as an excuse to get a mig welder :rockin: Since I've started building on it, I've seen so many things I want to change already. However, I've got to brew some beer. I think I'm going to finish buying the parts that I need, in order to start brewing. From there I can make the changes as I go. I believe I'm 1 stainless coupling away from my first batch :ban:

What do you think I should brew for the virgin batch?

Do a 5 gal batch. An IPA has my vote for your first batch. No stuck sparges and it flows thru the lines nice.

I finished the gas lines and they are leak proof. I also found u brackets to mount the gas tubing and plate chiller. It looks much better.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Now I have a new problem. I can ignite 1 burner and it will burn like normal for a few seconds, then it drops to a small lighter like flame. It looks like it's losing pressure. I though the bottle was empty, so I hooked up my other full bottle and got the same result. I double checked for leaks and could not find any. The guy at bayou classic told me I would need a 30psi regulator. I took his word for it. I haven't done any research into what could be the problem yet. Anyone have any advice for me?

It looks like my 30 psi regulator is pulling the propane too fast. The solution I've read are 1. Place tank in water bath so it will not freeze. 2. Get a larger tank. Or 3. Get a lower psi regulator.

I brewed my first batch yesterday. I love the brutus. All grain brewing is so much easier. I did run into a problem as I started to chill. see, what happen was. :) I used hole hops. Like an idiot, I didn't use any sort of screen or hop bag. When I wanted to chill, I tried to whorl pool, but naturally I clogged up every nook with hops. I used my immersion chiller and auto siphoned to get the wort out. Today I got to clean the aftermath that was left behind in my plate chiller, pump, etc. Lesson learned, I lost about a gallon of wort. I was confused by the different temps during the mash. the liquid coming from the pump was in the mid 150's while the grain temp was low-mid 140s. What am I more concerned with, liquid temp or grain temp? I didn't leave the flame on for long periods. I used the kiss method with a low flame.

I already see a couple of things I want to do to improve the system. I want to put a water heater element in my HLT attached to a timer so when I wake up the morning of brewday I will have strike water ready to go. It will also save propane. I'm also still not impressed with the pressure I'm getting from my regulator/burners. When I started to boil, I hooked the propane directly to the burner. I got better results that way. I'm probably going to load it up and take it to Bayou Classic and get their opinion.

Thanks! Looks like the guy has some pretty good deals. You've been happy with them? Would you recommend them?

Like I said, I ordered 2.5" gauges and I got 5. It was either a mistake or an "upgrade". Other than that, quick shipping and I was pleased. I would buy from them again. :mug:

I know it's been a while, but here is a video showing the brewing system as it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm in a rush to get the electronics finished before December. My wife is pregnant and the future brewer is arriving in December. I'm trying to find a good deal deal on asco valves (8210G15) and Love controllers. Wanted to get some feedback on where I should look.

Thanks for the help.

About asco valves...

I bought one 8210g15 the other day off ebay. Got it for $30. Sweet. This is the valve most people use :ban:

Today I traded my old mash tun and HLT (coolers) for 2 8215g020 valves. Also cool!

My question is purely based on functionality (not brass vs stainless vs aluminum or whatever) what is the difference between the two? The are both 1/2", normally closed, 120v shutoff valves. What is your opinion on these? Would both be fine for my brutus ten build, or is there an issue I'm overlooking?

I finally got a mig welder. I found a Lincoln mig 140 at a pawn shop. I bought it for $250. BRAND NEW IN BOX!!! Never struck and arc, never plugged in. I never find good deals like that, so I'm really excited. I'm ready to make some mods to the brutus ten. Next year, I'm probably going to build a stainless frame and tweak it a little to make it Mo' better!

Sweet. I'm only now thinking about planning a brew stand. Planning to buy a good MIG welder next spring (looking at a Millermatic 211 -- expensive but I don't want to learn to hate welding because of cheap equipment). Part of my self justification for the welder is to build a brew stand. Good score on your welder....I never come across good deals either.

I'm still a partial mash brewer. Figure when I go all grain, might as well just jump in with both feet.

Thanks! Looks like the guy has some pretty good deals. You've been happy with them? Would you recommend them?

I ordered one of their adjustable 5", and i loved it, but the metal tube covering the bimetal coil collapsed on itself, and now the thermometer wont move.

I'm in the process of exchanging emails with the guy, we'll see where it gets me.

I would still recommend this product, I think it collapsed because I forced it a way it didn't want to go.

Lucasbm....Let me know how this goes. I just bought a Lincoln welder from Ebay and plan on teaching myself how to weld. I want to build my own Brutus Ten but have several questions. Keep us posted on how your mods go.

Tim

Great score Luke on your Lincoln, pawn shops must have increased business during these hard times.

lombard, check into Cyberwelds.com they have great prices way below LWS houses the same brand name welders.
http://store.cyberweld.com/

That Miller 211 has a rather low 30% duty cycle vs stepping up to a 212 Miller, think about it if your going to weld thicker materials in the future. http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/onephase.php

pawn shops must have increased business during these hard times.

I think you're right. I got a ridgid chop saw for $50. It too was in like new condition. Couldn't tell if it was ever used. Sucks that times are hard, but I wouldn't mind getting all my tools before things get better :) I still need a torch set, air compressor with misc pneumatic tools.

The updates to the brutus are coming, but it's going to take some time. My wife is about 3 weeks away from birthing our first child. :mug: So, the brutus isn't high on the todo list if you know what I mean :) However... now, I can paint a mean baby's room if ya'll have any questions on that!

Well I sold my brutus 10 to a local startup brewery. http://www.luckytownbrewing.com
I wish them the best with the startup.

Why did I sell it? With time restraints with my new job, and having a little one running around, I never could find the time honestly. Sad excuse, but unfortunately true. So I re-evaluated my setup and I'm going to build a brutus 20 style setup using a cooler. I'm going this route so I can have even more of a hands off approach to the brew day.

I've got a bayou classic 15 gallon boil kettle, a 60 qt cooler, a bg14 burner and stand. All I need now is to build the system's stand, get an immersion chiller, and I'm going to go with a little giant pump. It's probably going to be a 2 tier system to save a little on cost.

Latest posts

Back