Yet another 4.9 cf Sanyo mini fridge conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewitt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just looked at the shipping notice for my stuff from Kegconnection.com and was compelled to post. I know there is nothing particularly new about converting a 4.9 cf Sanyo mini fridge to a two corny keg kegerator but I just couldn't contain myself. Picked up a fridge in outstanding shape on craigslist for $50. Picked up a couple corny ball lock kegs. Also found a 5 lb aluminum CO2 tank and dual gauge regulator along with a perlick tap and shank, a picnic tap, two sanke D connectors and a party pump on craigslist for another $50. Finally, I ordered a two tap stainless steel tower, two forward seal ss perlick taps, all the necessary tubing and connectors and a dual air handler from Kegconnection.com that is currently in transit. That set me back another $200. Finally, I also have an STC-1000 regulator on the way for $19 on eBay. Already have one STC-1000 regulator setup on a full sized refrigerator I am using for fermentation and refrigeration as the need arises (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/) and it works great so I thought it would also be good for varying temperature in a reliable way on this system.

So, my thought at the moment is to do the prescribed 2 keg setup described here: http://homebrewing.livejournal.com/413981.html

I'm hoping to leave some of the shelves on the door for bottled beer, etc. I read that can be done by making cutouts in the shelve for the Co2 tank. All other aspects of this conversion look pretty great. I hope to post my progress here as progress is made. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

I still have the door panel installed. I fit two 5 gallon kegs and a 5lb co2 tank in there with no issues. I put bottles and cans in it. I might have a 2911, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I did remove the bottom plastic bin in the door though, but the top ones and the little rack for cans is still there.

I'm converting mine over to faucets through the door vs the top. I even thinking if I remove the door panel, I can get 3 kegs and co2 In there. One keg being a 3 gal.

I have the 4912 and the door panel will not fit in the fridge with kegs in it. I don't use a separate temp controller with mine. I keep the fridge set a hair below the "5" setting and it keeps the kegs at about 39°.

I just picked up the fridge and components so I haven't played with space situation yet. Having room for another keg would be great. Just working from what I have seen on the internet. I was a bit worried about the quality of the thermostat in terms of temperature stability. Thanks for the tips. I'll check it out.

And by the way, insanim8er, thank for the link in your signature. Hadn't seen that before. Fun project!

I just received my tower and lines from Kegconnection.com. Nicely assembled and packed. Good quality lines, connectors and materials. All stainless with stainless perlick faucets (the only part that wasn't assembled). Very nice air control block. I'm impressed. Now to start the assembly this weekend.

Just finished the basic construction. Still need a few things. Copper tube into the tower to transmit cold (very clever), mounting the air handling block, drip tray.... Once it cools down it will be time for a couple cold ones.:mug:

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

Digging these conversions. Might convince the brother to give me his Sanyo when he doesn't want it anymore haha

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Next step in the process was to keep the beer lines in the tower cool. I had read if you put them in copper tubing that extends into the fridge it will conduct enough to cool the lines up into the tower. My plan was to get some 1.5" tubing to put both lines in but I had a length of 1" tubing so I used two 24" lengths. rior to doing that I cleaned up the tubing and sanitized it inside. I also rounded off the edges so it wouldn't damage the lines. Then I fed a line up each tube and pushed the tube up into the tower. That left about half of the tube in the fridge. I just looped the pieces of beer line up where they exited the line to gently hold the tubing in place and I held the line in place by looping them under the bungie holding the CO2 tank. I will need a more permanent fix later but that did the job. Finally, I put everything in place and closed the fridge up again.

This is all illustrated in the pictures. You will also see the cutouts in the shelf for the CO2 so that the kegs can sit far enough back to allow me to keep the shelving on the door. I also had to cut down the lower shelf to match the depth of the other two. I have bottled beer stored there. I should say that this arrangement is so tight that the pressure adjustment screw on the CO2 regulator has to slip into the hand grip in the rubber top of the keg in order to allow it to slide back far enough. It is very tight. I also still have to figure out reasonable routing of the gas lines and mounting position for the air regulator valves.

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

Looks good... Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with my 4911. I planned on adding faucets through the door to keep it compact, but I ended up getting four SS 3" tap towers (brand new in the box with SS faucets) for $25/ea. I love Craig's list. Anyway, I got two dual towers and two single towers.

image.jpg

Now I'm thinking I should use one of the dual towers instead. Decisions decisions.

Does the copper really help with the lines from foaming? I was thinking about adding a fan if I did the tower.

Damn, would love to have gotten that deal on towers. I scoured craigslist for a couple weeks and came up dry. I broke down and purchased from keg connection.

I just put the copper in last night. The tower is now colder but I haven't poured beer since it cooled. The lines are inside of the copper so they should be colder. I think it will be fine but will report back.

The problem is, my kegs are almost empty. Time to brew some beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got 10 gallons of cream ale that just finished. I need to transfer it and get another batch going.

I really need to build my kegerator. Right now I have my kegs with picnic taps in a fridge in the basement with only outdoor access. I got the parts to build a couple mini kegerators. But I'm not sure what one to keep and what to sell...damn I'm so indecisive.

And It took me forever to get my portable built. Only took 20 minutes to actually build it once I put time aside. Now I'm obsessed with it. I try to make up reasons to use it lol

image.jpg

Well for what it's worth... I finally got to my 4911 conversion. I removed the door panel, and it does hold two 5 gallon kegs with a 3 gallon keg in back. The co2 fits in place too. It doesn't seem to be big enough for two 3 gallons even with the co2 outside.

Latest posts

Back