yesterdays brewday ends with apifany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betaman

Reaction score
so i had a perfect Brew day going, on a Caramel Apple Winter Ale. Numbers were bang on and tried a new techique for cooling i saw on a Youtube channel by recirculating water thru my plate chiller and an ice bath in a cooler. so i cooled the wort to 24 degrees C, and then off to the conical fermenter. it worked perfect. it took 25 minutes including a 10 min rest to bring down to this temp. as i was filling the conical i noticed the bottom ball valve was left open so as the wort went in the top it came out the bottom i think the entire neighborhood heard a bunch of loud 4 letter words. i closed the valve really quickly and i don't think i lost a whole lot of beer but because i had a cold break on my boil kettle there was no way to know exactly how much i lost, especially because i fill the fermenter though the 1.5 inch TC opening in the lid. this is where it hit me. wouldn't it be a good idea if a window was on the side of the conical. it would have to have the ability to cover up to keep out the light as well. has anyone heard of this or does anyone else think this could be a good idea??

I thought of that but I wonder how that sight glass would be on the fermentation? Kinda why I thought a window that could be opened and closed.

Back