yes, another burner/manifold question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhltechie

Reaction score
hey all,

i am still on the fence about what burners to use on my single tier. I like the banjos but I feel like it might be a bit overkill....i don't want to waste propane. On the other hand...they are just cool. lol If i did decide to get them..I would get 2 of them for HLT and BK. I'd get something smaller for the MLT.

so with that said.....could I put both the larger burner and a smaller still high pressure burner on the same manifold using the same regulator with no issues. I'd think it'd be fine, but then again I'm no expert!

the ones I was look at were:

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=64494&cn=6000138&bhcd2=1284210413

smaller one:

http://www.agrisupply.com/cast-iron-burner/p/30295/cn/6000138/

I am certain the smaller one would be ok for all three....just not sure yet.

TIA,

M

The bayou BG12 would also be a good choice

http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/High-Pressure-Cast-Iron-Burner-BG12.htm

The banjo style really don't use alot of propane. They can be dialed down with the proper regulator.

hmmm....i had not seen those. they seem to be somewhat in the middle of the smaller and the bigger and the price is right. I found it on amazon as well. they pair it with a 30 psi regulator. the burner is 50k BTU is that really enough for mostly 5 gallon batches? Or were you suggesting this as my "smaller" burner.

thanks for your reply! (i'm about to make a sizable..well to me it is...purchase at your website BTW. very good prices!)

The 10" burners from AG supply would be a good choice for the HLT and Boil kettles, and the 6" low pressure burner from AG supply would be the right size for the MLT. I would suggest starting with a common manifold low pressure manifold fed by a Marshall 299 2 stage regulator, and use the Honeywell Q314 series pilot burners. This makes automation at a later date much easier as everything is setup for low pressure propane, you just install automatic valves in existing plumbing, thermocouples in pilot burners, and wire to controls. If you wanted to transition from low pressure propane to NG the only changes needed would be replacing pilot burner orifices, replace spring in automatic gas valve, and drilling gas jet fittings for the burners, a 1 hour change over. The cost of the Honeywell gas valve with standing pilot is less than the price of the ASCO valves used in the Brutus design and gives you a much safer build when done, and is not complicated to install.

I'm just starting a 3-tier setup, and these burners don't have stands attached. Do you already have stands, or are you somehow building the burners into the setup?

I would say that just about any of the burners listed will work for 5 and 10 gallon batches.

The high pressure burners will work for 15 gallon batches.

The banjo burners will work with 20 to 30 gallon batches.

It really is all about the waiting game. The banjo burners (high pressure versions) will create a flame thrower at full flame and would heat a 50 gallon kettle.

I would say that just about any of the burners listed will work for 5 and 10 gallon batches.

The high pressure burners will work for 15 gallon batches.

The banjo burners will work with 20 to 30 gallon batches.

It really is all about the waiting game. The banjo burners (high pressure versions) will create a flame thrower at full flame and would heat a 50 gallon kettle.

ahh....decisions decisions! i'm not sure if i've made any headway...lol

xspeaker - i'm building a single tier like many of the forum members have done. do a search on the brutus 10 and you can see an example of the type of frame. the burners are built into the stand or just connected to the solid plumbing in some cases.

Back