Yerba mate soda clone of Club Mate. Need help with process and extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joefink

Reaction score
I'm attempting to make a clone of Club Mate soda.

I checked a lot of sites for recipes and found a few but they're fairly basic and don't provide much detail for the process of making it. Yerba Mate has some specific issues related to not boiling it and no recipe I've seen yet addresses this.

I read that Club Mate uses an extract syrup of Mate. How is this made?
Should I first make the syrup and then make the beverage?

Any process suggestions for recreating this drink is much appreciated. I live in china so some ingredients may be harder to come by but I have all the equipment for brewing and kegging beer and will have the mate shipped from USA.

Thanks,

I too am quite interested in this process and have been searching as well.

Hi Joe

You is right, if you boil the Ilex Paraguayensis (Erva Mate), you will loose most of the aroma and change a lot the flavor.

Here in Brazil, from center to south regions, we consume a lot of Mate, and the guys here brew a lot of Erva Mate Beer.

What they do is boil water for some minutes for sanitation, then wait until the water temperature come down to 80ºC and then add the Erva Mate, normally using a jar with a lid.

Then wait the mixture get at room temperature and finally put it on the refrigerator for one or two days. After that, all solids will be decanted on the bottom of the jar, and you collect the liquid above it.

We use to add this tea on the secondary or in maturation, to avoid boil the tea.

Is not exactly a extract, is more like a tea, but works fine for beer and should be no problem to use in soda also.

Using 1.5 liter water for 0.5 Kg of Erva Mate, you will finish with about 1 liter of a strong tea.

Back