Yep.....an infection thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satyrbassist

Reaction score
It's a basic pale ale. All grain. Sg 1.050. Fg 1.012. Everything went off without a hitch. Racked to secondary. Beer looked, smelled, and tasted great. Came back a week later and this is what I had.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413074641.779711.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1413074666.479154.jpg
Decided to go ahead and bottle. As I siphoned it out the film stayed almost sheet like and basically pulled itself off the beer as the level went down. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413074822.397341.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1413074843.399629.jpg
It tasted great. No bad smells. I shall forge ahead. But my curiosity made me post. Has anyone else had this?

Yes, it happens most often in "secondary". The reason is that while in primary, little oxygen remains in the headspace that when a beer is finished, and racked, a vessel with lots of headspace will allow oxygen loving bacteria (like lactobacillus) to get a foot hold in. It's not that uncommon.

It generally only happens in beers with lots of headspace, and only once fermentation is finished.

Everything yooper said and one more thing. If you are going to use a a secondary then make sure you have little to no headspace. Ie a 5 gallon carboy for 5 gallon batch.

It actually is a 5 gallon. Was my first all grain and I ended up with just 5 gallons going into primary. I think I boiled too hard. I forgot about the headspace. Thanks. Hopefully it will be drinkable!

This is why most people say its pointless to do a secondary. You risk oxidation and infection. There really was no reason for you to do a secondary in this situation. Could have just left it in the primary then kegged or bottled.

This happened to me the first time i tried a secondary and was also the only time my beer got infected. I dont secondary anymore and if i did id probably just use a keg so i can purge out the o2

reducing head space is ofcorce a very good idea, but the major issue is not head space but proper sanitation. drink up ;)

Latest posts

Back