Yellowing Leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
My cascade hops are coming up very nicely. But the tips of the leaves are turning yellow. Is this a problem?

2010 Hops 003-sm.JPG

2010 Hops 004-sm.JPG

They look pretty good to me. You're lucky...I'm just now starting to see shoots coming up.

Sometimes, direct sunlight can cause spots on the leaves. If that's the issue, it's not big deal as hops love sunlight.

The only other problem that would cause spots like that is lack of nutrients. How often are you watering? More often than not, overwatering is the cause of most peoples problems. You can flood the roots and starve the plant of oxygen. If you feel like you're watering too much, just cut it down a bit. The soil should be moist, but not soaked.

Also, have you added any fertilizers? You may want to think about adding some slow release fertilizer to the base of the plant.

I've only watered a couple of times since they started coming up. I gave them some general fertilizer (16-16-16) back in the first part of February. Nothing since then.
As far as your plants just coming up, that's good considering the winter you had.

if your fertilizing them its nitrogen burn. flush them with water for 2 weeks if this is the case.

Latest posts

Back