Yellow trichomes on underside of leaves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrackle

Reaction score
I took a macro photo of an insect on the underside of a hop leaf. When I looked at the photo on my computer I noticed all the little yellow dots on the underside of the leaf. I too more photos and these yellow dots seem to be on all the leaves over the entire plant. Are these trichomes? If not.. any idea what they are?

Oh yeah, I think the insect is a Black Hunter Thrips. It's a beneficial that eats other thrips, mites, insect eggs, etc.

RW6Yu.jpg

Thanks!

IMHO I would be more inclined to class it as a form of plant oedema.
It appears to be crystallized sap the is extruded from stomata and other cells. It is pretty common and seems to be caused by water / humidity conditions. In any case it is very common and nothing to worry about.

Thanks Jagdad. They where so evenly spread out and all over the plant I couldn't believe it was that infested with insect eggs, especially since I couldn't find many mites, etc. Oedema, interesteding.. thanks again.

Back