Yeasy Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay7

Reaction score
This may have been covered and if so a link would be appreciated. I just purchased a stir plate and wondered about growing or increasing starters. I used light malt extract at 1.040, 1000ml wort, yeast nutient and WLP001 in my 2000ml flask. After it did it's magic I decanted off the wort from yeast and added another 1000ml at 1.040 with nutrient. This gave me enough yeast for 2 five gallon carbouys and a remaining starter. What I am wondering is this going to change the yeast characteriistics in a noticeable way after X number of times? And also how many times can I produce a starter from the original yeast. What are you doing or how many times do you reproduce? I am thinking of using the remaining starter to produce enough for a 10 gallon batch and then buying a new vial.
I am asking this because like many it seems I have to make all the mistakes to learn. LOL! previously I washed some yeast and reused it successfully until I ended up with a sour tasting beer. I then read the sticky here and saw my mistakes. Thanks for your input or links.

Yeast saved from a starter, to make more starters, I consider new yeast because it has never been stressed by brewing a beer.

I have an IPA fermenting with generation 4 yeast, WY 1056. Meaning it has already brewed 4 beers, not counting the original starter. When I harvest it, it will be labeled generation 5.

Yeast saved from a starter, to make more starters, I consider new yeast because it has never been stressed by brewing a beer.

You may consider it any way you like but any time there is cell division, there is the possibility of cell mutation. It doesn't really matter if the cell division is ocurring in a "starter" or in a "beer"; when the food runs out the mutations begin.

I'm thinking after I have multiplied the initial yeast it would change some but maybe not enough for the novice like myself so much. Like I said earlier I ended up with a sour beer but don't think that had much to do with the yeast as much as infecting the yeast maybe. I'll be changing all my hoses before the next batch. Thanks again guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You may consider it any way you like but any time there is cell division, there is the possibility of cell mutation. It doesn't really matter if the cell division is ocurring in a "starter" or in a "beer"; when the food runs out the mutations begin.

Can you cite reference material?

Back